DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Character Faces ....

Guest .

Banned
Hi All,

Today, there was some LIGHT after weeks of darkness.

Nothing could hold me ... I got my weapons for shooting. :)

Although very cold in Germany (around freezing point) I managed some portraits.

Ostriches have their individual faces. Each is individual and different to their mates.

I like their eyes which are clear as glass. Nice sunlight was striping their faces which resulted in extreme contrasts within their faces. We all know, that the SD copes well with these difficult light conditions as its DR is immense.

Just have a look at my portraits....

View attachment 1137 View attachment 1138

View attachment 1139 View attachment 1140

View attachment 1141 View attachment 1142

SIGMA SD14 (ISO200) / SIGMA 80-400mm EX OS / freehanded

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 8.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 8.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Sample 9.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 9.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Sample 11.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 11.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Sample 12.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 12.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 38
  • Sample 13.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 13.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Sample 14.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 14.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 35
Beautiful! The very last image is a fine angle of the head, and shows a beautiful shape and form. I love the way the feathers reflect the blue spectrum. And of course, the usual deep colors and fine sharpness that I'm learning to respect from the sensor and lenses.

What an impressive set, Klaus! Beautiful!

OK, seeing you had to be challenged on the 1 cent shot, would you please tell us which ones are muppets and which ones are real? :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

Hi All,

thanks for the kind comments.

Well, digital image processing is a highly, interesting thing ... worth to be mastered ... but should not end it itself.

It is worth the effort whenever it can serve to polish up a photo which has good image-material.

I do not like any photo-compositions which include foreign image materials.
If I do so, all picture material is from my own hands.

Those who are handy with digital tricks do best, never to admit it! :D

If they do admit so, everybody is then looking for digital tricks!:D

The shots above are most honest! The only thing is that I had a fight with the extreme contrasts between the dark shady parts in the portraits and the very bright highlights on the other hand. Well, our SDx cameras do record these image info ... you just have to work it out from the RAW-data.

To give you an impression... That is the way pictures look without image processing:

View attachment 1144 View attachment 1145

Here we are without any structures in the highlights and shades. The image information is contained (as my pictures above illustrate) but must be made visible. Only X3F-RAW-mode makes this possible! Go for jpg-mode and you lose the match.

Therefore I always point out clearly that good SIGMA-Foveon results strongly depend on the photographer's digital-darkroom abilities. Often you do not get good results out of cam.

Most camera-testers do not seem to have understood the cameras' potential, simply because they neither can work the cameras nor do they manage their RAW-data. Most of them never went beyond jpg-mode... a sad story.

Let me give a short instruction how to work shots that contain such extreme dynamic range (extreme contrasts).

1) Check camera exposure carefully at the scene using the overexposure indicator (display shows overexposed areas red). The display warns early enogh. Speed up exposure so, that the first red areas are already displayed ... believe me you are save then .. the foveon has its reserves in the highlights.

This "expose to the right" procedure realizes the full dynamic range.

For a most scientific explanation have a look here!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

Digital-darkroom procedure on the computer using SPP 2.5 converter:

2) Adjust "exposure" precisely ... watch the histogram most carefully

3) Turn on over-exposure warning mode and do the necessary FILL LIGHT adjustment. The extreme Dynamic range of the pic becomes compressed now. Highlights and shadows now gain structures. Do not care all that much about noise that now comes up in the shadows ... that can be fixed later on.

4) Do fine corrections with the highlight and shadow sliders until all the picture's details are nicely visible. I always find it fascinating what the SIGMAs really see.
Be very carefull with the contrast slider ... it tends to destroy a lot ... I just use it very rarely.

5) Save the image! Then work on possible picture noise which turned up using large amounts of fill light, using other software, do colour corrections, crops and so forth.

As I pointed out so many times ... Arcsoft Darkroom / RAW PHOTO STUDIO provides the best filters to the typical Foveon low frequent RGB (chromatic)-noise.

Neat Image is a very sophisticated tool to do luminace-noise.

http://math.berkeley.edu/~ilya/photo/random-noise/

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 17.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 17.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Sample 18.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 18.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 7
I have copied this information into my electronic notebook. VERY valuable! Thanks so much!

Laurence

Laurence, seeing you are "new" to digital and may be just getting into Photoshop, I take this opportunity to make you aware of a site called http://www.russellbrown.com.

Russell has been involved in the PS project @ Adobe since its inception. His site features a great set of FREE (Quicktime) training movies that you can download. He has an interesting training style that works for me.

As Russell would say, "Give it a try". :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

Laurence, seeing you are "new" to digital and may be just getting into Photoshop, I take this opportunity to make you aware of a site called http://www.russellbrown.com.

Russell has been involved in the PS project @ Adobe since its inception. His site features a great set of FREE (Quicktime) training movies that you can download. He has an interesting training style that works for me.

As Russell would say, "Give it a try". :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

I'm "all over it"! THANK YOU!

Your welcome to access what I have gleaned over the years! I have a long list of links, but most of it is related to illustration, both with Adobe Photoshop and an application called Painter (nowadays owned by Corel).

If you want to experience how PS can be applied to an illustration discipline (and this guy inspired me to head in that direction after reading one of his books on the subject), take a look at http://www.bertmonroy.com.

A large part of my income these days comes from drawings such as the attachment here.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Attachments

Back