DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax jacket

jakbul

Apologies if this is the wrong area.

My father was a big Contax fanatic. He went to a camera show, couldn't say which one, but came away with a silver Contax jacket. I have no use for it or an estimate of it's value. Looks like a space suit. Any pointers as to value or rarity would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.
PXL_20230331_224701408.jpg
PXL_20230331_224633445.jpg
PXL_20230331_224614505.jpg
PXL_20230331_224556950.jpg

Hi - they come up for auction from time to time, mostly in the US (I have a version without the Stars and Stripes) and I don't think were available other than through a few trade shows. You can see the main problem with them - the silver finish degrades over time unless they are carefully stored. I bought mine from eBay about 5 years ago for $27+ shipping to the UK. I have seen one that was unused in its original plastic wrap sell for $70.

Thanks for responding. Given the current US inflation rate...$27/5 years...it has to be worth, what? $500US? 8)
I was hoping he took it from the show and just put it in a closet but there's plenty of damage, unfortunately. I'll probably start at $100 and see what kind of offers I get.
Thanks again.

Back