DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ealry model 90mm 28 Elmarit lens

G

Any user opinions on the older Elmarit 2.8 90mm (the one from the 1960s with the vulcanite on the barrel)? They seem to be reasonably priced and I haven't heard the criticisms of it like I have of the tele-elmarit.

I first bought one of these nearly 30 years ago and love it. Actually, 3 years ago I bought another one, mint, from an estate sale and sold my first beat-up one on Ebay. The lens is sharp, contrasty and takes beautiful portraits. I also use the head on a Visoflex II with the unniversal focusing mount for close-ups when I want a little more distance than I get with the 65mm Elmar. I think that in both sharpness and lack of flare it beats all the models of the Tele-Elmarit. It uses 39mm filters and the same hood as the last models 90mm Elmar and the 135 Hektor, Elmar and Tele-Elmar. Take advantage of the low price and get yourself a great lens!

I too am a lover of this classic lens. I had for many years a nearly mint ex&le which saw a lot of use on a Viso III with the focus mount adapter. I kept the regular focusing mount in the plastic bubble, in the box! About three years ago I sold off quite a bit of Leica gear and made the mistake of selling this most beautiful lens. Absolutely the best tonality of any lens I have ever owned. I now use 90mm Summicron ( pre APO )and 75mm Summilux. They are great lenses but lack the "round" tonal values of the 90mm Elmarit. If you can find a real clean one buy it!!!

Back