DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

KEH reasonable for selling off F-mount equipment?

jfriend00

I have a bunch of F-mount equipment that I no longer use and am thinking I may as well get some money out of it before it loses all value. I'm wondering if KEH is a reasonable place for selling equipment? I assume I could maybe get a bit more if I sold each item myself, but if I'm not interested in going that path, is KEH a reasonable place to sell? Here are the items I have:

Nikon 200-400 f/4 (first generation)
Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX
Nikon D750

Also, does anyone have any experience with the difference in KEH classification between "excellent plus" and "excellent"? As their description is not particularly definitive, it seems like you could end up shipping all the equipment to them and then they'd tell you all your items are only "excellent", not "excellent plus" which drops the price meaningfully.

Are there any places better than KEH, you would recommend?

I do not know if it is better for selling, but MPB is another one to check.

For sure I prefer them for buying. They have a dedicated product page, pictures and description for each item they sell. KEH have instead a generic product page and then you pick the item at the conditions and price you prefer, but you never see the actual item you chose until you receive it.

In the past 12 months or so I got from MPB a 16-80mm, a 18-140mm and MB-D17 grip for my D500. They were all listed in "like new" conditions and indeed they were, down to the original packaging and Nikon US warranty card.

Yes, KEH is a trusted and respected place to sell used photo gear. And so is MPB. I've bought from both and as Captain America stated I prefer to buy from MPB.

KEH sends buying agents to some places and I was able to sell some old Nikon gear to them at an event here in Phoenix. I also sold an AF-S 300/4D to MPB through the mail. They rated it one grade lower than I did and I accepted their explanation why.

Yes, you can get better prices using CraigsList or eBay but I've never wanted to go through the hassle at either of them.

then they'd tell you all your items are only "excellent", not "excellent plus" which drops the price meaningfully.
Happened to me on several occasions. Even for a lens that should have been LN- as it had only been used a few times and had spent its days stashed away in a bag. Safest to assume that the best rating you are going to get is EX. I have not used mpb so far but among the others that buy used equipment, keh is the preferred place to go to.

I understand your reluctance about selling it yourself but the difference between doing so and just selling equipment off to a(ny) camera store (online or local) will usually be a couple hundred dollars atleast (per object). Camera stores are all about profit and will only offer you a fraction of the real value.

I have a bunch of F-mount equipment that I no longer use and am thinking I may as well get some money out of it before it loses all value. I'm wondering if KEH is a reasonable place for selling equipment? I assume I could maybe get a bit more if I sold each item myself, but if I'm not interested in going that path, is KEH a reasonable place to sell? Here are the items I have:

Nikon 200-400 f/4 (first generation)
Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX
Nikon D750

Also, does anyone have any experience with the difference in KEH classification between "excellent plus" and "excellent"? As their description is not particularly definitive, it seems like you could end up shipping all the equipment to them and then they'd tell you all your items are only "excellent", not "excellent plus" which drops the price meaningfully.

Are there any places better than KEH, you would recommend?
I've always had a good experience with KEH, buying and selling. Yes, you can get more selling privately. But, the hassle of that kind of sale is avoided!

Look for a shop that will consign the items for you. I've used PopFlash for selling some Leica lenses.

I asked for a quote from a local camera shop for an F3HP LNIB, never used, bought as a spare. With an MD4 and MF14. They offered $125. When the same store had the Z5 on sale for under $1K, new, I bought it there and told them the F3HP paid the full price of the Z5. That is how much I got for the F3HP and MD4, sold on consignment. Same salesperson that I bought the Df from in 2012. I told her to let the manager know that the camera he offered $125 for fully paid for the Z5.

KEH, MPB etc are buying wholesale to sell at “retail” so you’re likely to get, at best, 60-67% of their asking price. The quotes may be revised down on the actual offer since the may be more picky in their grading than you are.

Consignment (or selling yourself) would bring more money. As always, ymmv.

Back