DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Newb QuestionShutter Speed

jupiterboy

I have a new E-500 with the 14-54 and Macro lenses. I'm in the getting-to-know-you phase, and today I'm getting it to work with my dinky Novatron strobe kit.

Here's a very bad s&le image.

9749.jpg

Here's the problem I'm having as I increase the shutter speed. Seems the higher I go the more area goes dark.

9748.jpg

BTW, looks like a nice forum. I'll try to contribute more as I get up to speed.

You are trying to use a shutter speed higher than the maximum flash sync. speed, which I believe for the E-500 is 1/180th sec.
This results in not all of the sensor area being exposed while the flash output is at its peak.

Andy.

Any workarounds? Your right, I'm at 1/180th. I need less light but would like to control the F. Wish we had a 64 ISO setting.

Do you have variable output on your strobes?
If you do, and you have it dialled down as much as it will go and the output is still too high, then the only options are to increase the light-subject distance (may not be possible, of course) or to use ND filters on the camera lens.

There is no advantage in trying to use a higher shutter speed except to eliminate any unwanted ambient light effects.180th/sec is the fastest speed at which the focal plane shutter on the 4/3rds cameras exposes all of the sensor at once - go any faster than this and the second blind starts to move before the first blind has completed its travel, which explains the partial exposures you are getting.

Andy.

Right, I'm all the way down on the strobes. White objects and bubble packs are the curse for me. I was not aware of ND filters though. That seems like a great studio tool for me. Thanks so much for the tip.

> E-500 uses a vertical traveling focal plane shutter. I've taken manual flash shots with my OM T32 flash mounted at shutter speeds up to 1/320th, with no cut-off. At 1/400th, the pcture starts to cut off. John

> E-500 uses a vertical traveling focal plane shutter. I've taken manual flash shots with my OM T32 flash mounted at shutter speeds up to 1/320th, with no cut-off. At 1/400th, the pcture starts to cut off. John

Back