DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Old Lady at the Gate

Box Man

fullsizeoutput_78c9.jpeg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON 1 V1
  • 50mm f/1.8G
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 320

Interesting image in many ways. What is this place? Why is she. bent over like this? Was this a monetary posture or is this how she walks everywhere? Why is she alone and ignored by the others in the photo? I could also interpret this in a symbolic way. Yet more mysteries from the Box Man!

Interesting image in many ways. What is this place? Why is she. bent over like this? Was this a monetary posture or is this how she walks everywhere? Why is she alone and ignored by the others in the photo? I could also interpret this in a symbolic way. Yet more mysteries from the Box Man!
In the background is part of the famous Kaminarimon Gate; unfortunately, most of it is obscured from view. The lantern which is quite visible is part of the gate. In Japan it isn't rare to see some elderly people afflicted by nutrient deficiencies because after WWII Japan had become very poor. Most likely the elderly lady walks hunched over as this condition isn't temporary. The reason she is alone is because she's probably returning to her home in the area. The other people in the photo have no connection to her and are most likely tourists with the exception of the person on the bicycle next to them. I strongly felt at the time I took the photo that the elderly lady and the old gate complimented each other wonderfully, both possessing their own hidden mysteries.

Back