DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Stunt Show ....

Guest .

Banned
Hi all,

Well, although a SIGMA is said to be a relatively slow cam, .... not really suitable of any kind of action shooting..., I just did that at a stunt show (Warner Bros. Movie-World)

My lens was the SIGMA 80-400mm EX OS....:)

To sum it up ...
It is really no problem to use the SD14 in such situations like action or sports.
Certainly, ... you have to release your shutter with consideration (when shooting in best RAW-resolution) or drop quality to have the SD running faster. In fact, I decided on full RAW-resolution and thought before releasing the shutter. I do not think that I missed a single shot....:)

Have a look!

View attachment 221

View attachment 222

View attachment 223

View attachment 224

View attachment 225

View attachment 226

View attachment 227

View attachment 228

... to be continued ....:)

Attachments

• Sample 10.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 10.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Sample 27.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 27.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
  • Sample 26.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 26.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Sample 25.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 25.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Sample 24.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 24.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Sample 23.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 23.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Sample 19.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 19.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sample 18.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 18.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 11

Attachments

• Sample 44.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 44.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Sample 43.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 43.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 7
  • Sample 41.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 41.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sample 38.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 38.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Sample 37.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 37.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Sample 35.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 35.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Sample 31.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 31.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Sample 28.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 28.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11

Attachments

• Sample 45.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 45.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Sample 49.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 49.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Sample 50.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 50.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 7
  • Sample 51.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 51.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
Hi, Klaus!

I have heard it said in the past (and from personal experience too), action photography is possible with any of the SD cameras. It just depends on how good a photographer you are.

I guess your pictures prove you are not only a photographer, but a pretty good one. Great shots, by the way!

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs.

Hi Jim,

thanks for your comment!

Well, no doubt ... A Canon is faster than a SIGMA. They can do up to ten pics/s ... which comes next to a movie-camcorder!

The problem, I see with shooting such large ammounts of photos is, to develop them all and evaluate them finding out the best shots.

This certainly is much more work, than shooting so many pictures?!

Dacades ago, when there were neither AF-systems, automatic light metering nor motor-winders, handy photographers very well managed their action and sport photos with their simple equipment.

Therefore, I do not see any reason, why all this should be impossible with a SIGMA SD. In fact, it is possible.:z04_photos:

Unfortunately, most photo-magazines criticize SIGMAs limited equipment and praise all the "nice to have" features of a Canon or Nikon, that make them easy to work with.... which is probably even true ...:confused:

But ... these automatically working camera systems can prevent photographers from thinking and learning. In the end, image quality is the better, the more you know on how a camera works.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Greetings, Klaus!

Yes, we're on the same page! I think this obsession with automation is taking away some of the personal commitment a photographer requires to apply to the creative process, in order to deliver/communicate the intended message to a viewer.

I don't need a "machine gun" capacity to record shadow detail, subtle colour nuances, resulting effect of nature's elements or varying moods, I need a tool that not only needs my brain for control, but my heart too.

I guess I appreciate the simplicity inherent in the SD cameras, that does not interrupt my thinking process, before releasing the shutter to capture the precise moment.

Take a look at the results of a master using his SD14 (over 100,000 shots to date, by the way), results that surely praise the SD14 as a creative tool, here...

http://www.pbase.com/ianvermeer/what_you_prefer

Sincerely, Jim Roelofs

You are welcome to view my humble little portfolio at www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Hello Jim,

I already admired your own "little" gallery!:z02_respekt:

Thanks a lot for the other link, too!!

What Georges Noblet does, is a real dream!!

FANTASTIC COLOURS! .... is, what comes to my mind first!! He proves, what a SIGMA can do with low light situations.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

P.S. Well I am just in the middle of "starting" my English gallery here at Camera Info ... (very humble, indeed)

https://www.camera-info.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1427

But my German CI-gallery is a bit more advanced ... since I have been working on it for seven months by now.

http://www.galerie.camera-info.de/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5502

Back