DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Upgrade - GAS

Jazz1

With the Fujifilm Summit coming I’m looking hard at upgrading and selling either my XPro-3 or XH-1. For sure I’ll wait for the summit and see what is introduced. If there is an XPro-4 I’m probably in and going to go for that upgrade and sell the XPro-3. If there is no XPro-4 I’ll keep the XPro3 and look hard at the XH-2 or the XT-5 just to get the advantages of the higher pixel count. I’m a hobbyist and kind of wonder if the upgraded sensor is worth selling either one of my camera bodies (The XPro-3 or XH-1). Even with my 50-140mm and 100-400mm I tend to crop a lot in some circumstances. So I’m wondering if the new sensor will be worth it?

Only the X-S20 was announced along with the 8mm lens and new phone software. I believe there's another summit in September, maybe they'll announce the other cameras then?

I remember when I had Pentax and they went from the great 16mp sensor to the new hires 24mp sensor and had to re-release a lot of their lenses with a special HD coating to get the best from the new higher res camera (K5 series to K3 series). I had switched to the Sony A7 at that time and I didn't fancy having to repurchase lenses I already had.
Still, I wonder at what point the difference in lenses' ability to resolve the greater resolution is noticeable in common usage.

I got the xh2s btw and it's taken a while to work out settings to get the best results but I wouldn't swap it for more pixels.

Cheers
Paul

Thank you for the response. I’ll just take some Tums, and hopefully the “GAS” will diminish. :p I do find myself wondering if I really need a larger pixel count. In all honesty probably that is not essential for my amateur uses.. I wouldn’t mind better low light performance, and faster focusing would be nice. and of course I need to figure out which lenses I own that can support a higher pixel sensor.

In the end I should be in no rush as the XPro3 and XH-1 carry on. Now if I can resist the hardware from Apple Computer next event! :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

I found the summit rather disappointing. I mean they postponed the summit by 2 months already this year and the only thing they introduce now is a XS20 for 1300 USD and a 8mm lens?

I was hoping for a new Fuji XPro too. I mean I love my X-Pro2 and I am not sure, whether I would like to have a X-Pro4, if it would be similar to the X-Pro3. :z04-beleidigt:

But nevertheless, just another expensive camera under a new name is very disappointing. All brands just increase the prices. Gone are the days of bodies for 800 USD. :z04-troest:

Yes, even the “entry/mid level” camera bodies (I only follow Fujifilm cameras) sure are expensive. i just wish that specifications and improved functions would “inflate” along with the prices. :p

i just wish that specifications and improved functions would “inflate” along with the prices. :p

Almost impossible, because all cameras are so good nowadays, that the improvements can only be marginal within 3-5 years.

We had in 2012 a "top" in the innovation cycle with the Nikon D800. These innovations slowly came down to cheaper models over the years. Same for APS-C cameras like Fuji. The XPro1 was a great camera. The 16MP sensor very good. Same for the X-E1. Only AF and viewfinder needed to be improved.

End of 2018 was in my view the next "top" in the innovation cycle. This was when all other brands, who had no mirrorless products line yet announced and introduced their new line. Like Canon R, Nikon Z, Leica/Panasonic/Sigma L-Mount.

Additionally thanks to new lens designs for MLU, all brands suddenly were able to offer excellent image quality with the newly designed lenses. Not only the expensive pro lenses, also the cheaper consumer lenses and zooms.

Fuji is catching up now on the lenses, to really take advantages of the new 40MP sensor they use in the XT5, X2H etc. BUT at the cost of bigger, heavier and more expensive lenses. This is why I would rather stick with 24MP for my Fuji cameras. I want to keep my Fuji lenses small and light.

Almost impossible, because all cameras are so good nowadays, that the improvements can only be marginal within 3-5 years.

We had in 2012 a "top" in the innovation cycle with the Nikon D800. These innovations slowly came down to cheaper models over the years. Same for APS-C cameras like Fuji. The XPro1 was a great camera. The 16MP sensor very good. Same for the X-E1. Only AF and viewfinder needed to be improved.

End of 2018 was in my view the next "top" in the innovation cycle. This was when all other brands, who had no mirrorless products line yet announced and introduced their new line. Like Canon R, Nikon Z, Leica/Panasonic/Sigma L-Mount.

Additionally thanks to new lens designs for MLU, all brands suddenly were able to offer excellent image quality with the newly designed lenses. Not only the expensive pro lenses, also the cheaper consumer lenses and zooms.

Fuji is catching up now on the lenses, to really take advantages of the new 40MP sensor they use in the XT5, X2H etc. BUT at the cost of bigger, heavier and more expensive lenses. This is why I would rather stick with 24MP for my Fuji cameras. I want to keep my Fuji lenses small and light.
Is there an official list of lenses that can actually take advantage of the improved sensor? I do BTW like the small size of f/2 primes.

Is there an official list of lenses that can actually take advantage of the improved sensor? I do BTW like the small size of f/2 primes.
Update I found this:

it looks like several of my lenses are listed. Including the smaller f/2 primes. Does this makes any sense?

I got the xh2s btw and it's taken a while to work out settings to get the best results but I wouldn't swap it for more pixels.
More pixels would be nice for cropping, but of couse the more pixels the slower processing(AF speed)/burst rate etc. The main advantage of "S" is speed, so 26MPix is OK (always better than 20 in R6), moreover the bigger pixel the better DR in the same sensor technology.
The latest update, finally fixed poor ergonomics of H2 bodies in terms of sensitivity/EC adjustments, so my H2s is quite usable now - I wonder how about overheating with burst rates ob CFE card. This will be the first summer with it so time will tell.
Regarding the latest annoucements, I'm not surprised about lack new lenses (except 8/3.5 which is interesting indeed), but I'm puzzled with the lack of rangefinders availability/refreshment.
It seems the latwst strategy was to attract PASM users and wait (also for 3rd party lens makers).
Cheers,
Artur

Back