DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Bulk wheat train

Pete_W

This is Pacific National's train #3824, bulk wheat heading from the south of the state to the port. Hauled by a double-header of 81 class locomotives.

It was such a drab and overcast day that the photo really needed black & white processing.

PN's 3924 bulk grain led by 8178 & 8136 at Moss Vale by Peter Watters, on Flickr

I agree, B&W looks good. Locomotives are the same as the "garbage train" you posted earlier (81-class -- I am learning). I'm also noticing (assuming) that these 81-class units have a "cab" on each end. This was deduced by looking at 8159 versus 8178 -- as the radiator/vent arrangements on the top are flipped/reversed. Is that correct? I have a couple of train pictures from last weekend to share -- always fun to get out along the tracks with the camera and shoot.

I agree, B&W looks good. Locomotives are the same as the "garbage train" you posted earlier (81-class -- I am learning). I'm also noticing (assuming) that these 81-class units have a "cab" on each end. This was deduced by looking at 8159 versus 8178 -- as the radiator/vent arrangements on the top are flipped/reversed. Is that correct? I have a couple of train pictures from last weekend to share -- always fun to get out along the tracks with the camera and shoot.
Yes, the 81 class has a cab at each end. Most of the older locomotives did, I guess because they operated solo with shorter trains a few decades ago. Now it seems all trains are very long and have multiple units so locomotives tend to be built single cab, although the design allows them to operate long-end leading.

Looking forward to your photos!

Back