DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Color Shift on Smartphone

patrickt

I have been n using Sony Xperia phones for quite a few years and recently got an Xperia 1V. A friend asked me to take a photo of a painting he wanted to have printed. I took the photo as a JPEG and when I compared the photo with the painting the change in the colors was obvious and obnoxious The pale blue background became a horrible green. I took another photo with JPEG+RAW. The Raw looked fine and the JPEG looked horrible. I spent the afternoon taking photos with RAW+JPEG and in normal photos the color shift was there but as long as the relative values between the colors was consistent I wouldn't have noticed. So, I accepted I'd shoot only in RAW although my least favorite task in the photographic process is the computer. I woke up this morning with lots of ideas and when to Display and then White
Balance in my settings menu. The white balance had four choices: warm, medium, cool, custom. I had assumed this just had an effect on the smartphone display. I was wrong. When I set the white balance to cool the JPEG photos looked exactly the same as the RAW photos.

On my Xperia 1 V, who I set the white balance in settings effects how the phone processes the photos. I don't know if yours does or not but you might want to check.

Back