DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Converter for F mount to Canon.

Barbie Heid

Hi Folks. Talk about a Christmas surprise - my best friend gifted me his old camera, a Canon Rebel T6s with a 24-125mm. But I use a Nikon system, so I'll need a converter for my lenses.
Not going to put anyone of the spot with brands of course, but what should I look for in shopping for one? There's quite a few out there.
Also, will I lose an F stop, as with a 2X? Do you shoot any differently (settings) with a converter on? Thanks!

Hi! It may be difficult due to flange/register distance, as Nikon F has one bigger than Canon EOS. An adapter must have built-in lens to work in such a case. The same situation as mounting M42 lenses on Nikon, but here such adapters do exist. No idea, if there are similar from Canon EOS to Nikon F, try google them. Another issue can be electronic aperture control, as far as I know.
Usually it's best to convert fully manual lenses betwen some SLR/DSLR systems (if adapted lens register is longer then final body) or any lenses (mostly, but not exclusively, SLR lenses) into mirrorless systems, due to their short flange distance.
Regards,
-J.

Hi! It may be difficult due to flange/register distance, as Nikon F has one bigger than Canon EOS. An adapter must have built-in lens to work in such a case. The same situation as mounting M42 lenses on Nikon, but here such adapters do exist. No idea, if there are similar from Canon EOS to Nikon F, try google them. Another issue can be electronic aperture control, as far as I know.
Usually it's best to convert fully manual lenses betwen some SLR/DSLR systems (if adapted lens register is longer then final body) or any lenses (mostly, but not exclusively, SLR lenses) into mirrorless systems, due to their short flange distance.
Regards,
-J.
Great, thank you!

Back