DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do you prefer Sony A7 IV to Canon R6 Mark II?

The cameras are both equally as capable in the overall scheme. The lenses play a far bigger role. The system that has the lens wanted, is the one to go for.

If you send me both, I'll let you know.

Danny.

I own the Sony A7r iii and considered the Canon r6 ii before buying it so I can offer some perspective. I know that I'm a pixel peeper who gets really frustrated when details in my photos aren't sharp so extra MP is worth it for me. It makes me more satisfied with my photos. But I've seen many people who have said the extra MP didn't matter to them. Sony lens choices are overall much cheaper than the RF line because Sony allows third party lenses and has had their mount around for longer so you can find good used prices. The RF lens lineup also simply has less. Of course, this again depends on what lenses you favor and your budget. It concerned me that if I wanted to get multiple lenses in the RF line my options would be much more limited and more expensive. I also care about weight and bulk so I didn't want to add an adapter for EF lenses to the mix. Still I think the R6 ii is a great camera and I still kind of want it x).
I will say though that in my experience Jpegs on Sony cameras are AWFUL. I'm not sure if they've improved with the latest models but I kind of doubt it. If you plan to always shoot RAW and edit everything, great. But Jpegs are often convenient for casual shooting. The colors of greens especially are off, the contrast is too dark, oversharpening to the moon, and oversaturation. You have to use a custom picture profile to make it look normal and that takes a lot of tweaking to set right. I believe Canon is known for its colors for a reason.

Last edited:
I own the Sony A7r iii and considered the Canon r6 ii before buying it so I can offer some perspective. I know that I'm a pixel peeper who gets really frustrated when details in my photos aren't sharp so extra MP is worth it for me. It makes me more satisfied with my photos. But I've seen many people who have said the extra MP didn't matter to them. Sony lens choices are overall much cheaper than the RF line because Sony allows third party lenses and has had their mount around for longer so you can find good used prices. The RF lens lineup also simply has less. Of course, this again depends on what lenses you favor and your budget. It concerned me that if I wanted to get multiple lenses in the RF line my options would be much more limited and more expensive. I also care about weight and bulk so I didn't want to add an adapter for EF lenses to the mix. Still I think the R6 ii is a great camera and I still kind of want it x).
I will say though that in my experience Jpegs on Sony cameras are AWFUL. I'm not sure if they've improved with the latest models but I kind of doubt it. If you plan to always shoot RAW and edit everything, great. But Jpegs are often convenient for casual shooting. The colors of greens especially are off, the contrast is too dark, oversharpening to the moon, and oversaturation. You have to use a custom picture profile to make it look normal and that takes a lot of tweaking to set right. I believe Canon is known for its colors for a reason.
Supposedly the JPEGs in the newer Sony cameras are a lot "better". Of course, that's a subjective opinion. I have been shooting RAW for 2 years but before that, I found I liked Sony JPEGs better than what I have seen from others that use Canon because Canon colors tended to be too warm and the noise reduction was too strong. That said there is never a reason to use the default factory settings for JPEG because with any camera you can adjust them to your liking.

Back