DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Help Camera problem or something else

R

reyjessie

This weekend, I took the most beautiful pictures of a friend’s wedding, but to my horror many of the pictures had small but noticeable scratches across the wide end of the paper. The processor said that the camera is probably scratching the film during rewind. At first I suspected fowl play, only to realize the scratches were actually on the negatives. What could possibly be causing this problem? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? Turn the camera in for service? Could the film be the culprit, Kodak Porta 160 NC 36? I have looked through many, many reviews of cameras and have never heard of any problems with the Maxxum 5 scratching film. I would appreciate any recommendations. (Part of me feels that any hassle would be a wonderful excuse to dish out the money for a 7. But I’m not exactly ready to make that leap, yet.)

-Jessie

p.s.
I have not been to the beach and have not exposed to camera to any sand.

Jessie you must first put another roll of film through your camera and have it processed at a different lab.If that film is scratched get your camera serviced. If the film is fine take the lab to task as they must have damaged the film. Film damaged in the camera will normally have discolouration around the scratches where the emulsion is bruised, resulting in a very fine area of higher density around the scratch As the subject matter is high value it may be worth sending the film to the manufacturers for their opinion !! Ask the lab for the damaged frames to be scanned, retouched and the finished files written to CD so you can get prints made. The Labs are insured for this sort of thing. Good luck Michael

I agree to Michael. It must be damaged film casset. Some years ago i did the same problem. All 36 frames was scrached wery hard.
Best regards with next rols of beautifule pictures.
Andijs.

This is a follow up for the first post about scratched negatives. Thank you Michael for the suggestion. I have taken five more rolls of film on the camera and had them developed at different labs. None of the films were scratched. The lab that developed the wedding pictures refused to take any responsibility for the damages, although the lab manager did refund the money I paid. At least the camera is fine.

Jessie Reyes wrote > > This is a follow up for the first post about scratched negatives. > Thank you Michael for the suggestion. I have taken five more rolls of > film on the camera and had them developed at different labs. None of > the films were scratched. The lab that developed the wedding pictures > refused to take any responsibility for the damages, although the lab > manager did refund the money I paid. At least the camera is fine. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jessie.Getting a refund is an admission of guilt.If the negs are valuable you really do have a case for restoration of the damaged negs,only you can put a value on them however. Im certainly glad you have identified the problem and that it is not the camera. Michael

Before making any legal action check the bag you used to put film inside. Giving a film to the lab you are making business with them and the bag has a lot of contract informations and most of them state that only liability the lab has (even if they completely destroy your film) is a new roll of film and your money for prints. Plain and simple.

Here in the UK the lab has to prove that you have read and agreed with the terms and conditions , Pro Labs have been succesfully prosecuted over here and they all carry insurance to cover any liabilities that occurr,just as I,as a photographer ,carry insurance to cover any damage I may cause a client,like burning down a factory by accident. Michael W

Posted by Nusret Agovic (Arizona) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 6:36 pm: > > Before making any legal action check the bag you used to put film > inside. Giving a film to the lab you are making business with them and > the bag has a lot of contract informations and most of them state that > only liability the lab has (even if they completely destroy your film) > is a new roll of film and your money for prints. Plain and simple.

I just purchased a Maxxum 4 and am having difficulty getting the film to load. It makes all sorts of whirring noises but won't advance. As I have never owned a minolta before I am not sure if this is a quirk of the camera, or if it is me. Any ideas?

I would suggest you go to a photo shop and ask someone experienced to see what happens. Is it a camera or your "misconduct"...

Back