DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Looking for info on Lens Hood Compatability

robin22059

I'm looking for a lens hood for my Minolta 28-70 F2.8 G lens - I bought it second hand devoid of a hood. Recently, while taking photographs in harsh morning sunlight I experienced a lot of flare with it while my other wide angle lens with a petal hood gave much better results. Reviews say that the original round hood for this lens was useless so I'm looking for a petal hood. I can buy 72mm screw in petal hoods without a problem but would much prefer one with a Minolta/Sony bayonet fit (to reverse it on the lens). I see the Minolta & Sony 20mm f2.8 lenses come with petal hoods and both have 72mm filter diameter. I can get a replacement lens hood for these lenses but does anyone have an idea on compatibility with my lens?? I have assumed that if the lens filter diameter is the same then the lens hood would be the same - is this a viable assumption? Any advice would be most welcome.

Back