DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

My advice for beginners

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Macro Guy.

While people can nitpick about certain specifics, I think you gave a lot of good advice for those starting out with digital cameras.

I started my photography journey way back in the 'film age' in the '60's with a Kodak Instamatic and B/W, then in the 70's with a Pentax KX with Tokina 28-85 zoom and a lot of hours out taking pics and then in the darkroom making prints....while there were some steps involved, it was a heckuva lot simpler than dealing with the myriad of features, menus, post-processing, etc, involved with digital cameras.

So, while I was an advanced level photographer 30+ years ago, I feel like a newbie most of the time with my digital cameras.

Agree that as a beginner, having an expensive, feature laden camera does not make you a good photographer. Starting simple is probably a better approach for most newbies and then build up from there.

Just my 2¢.....

Mark

Hi Mark,

If you're a seasoned photographer, you should have no problems with digital. The biggest problem with digital is that there's so much BS, misinformation and obfuscation out there that it takes years to wade through it to get to the core, which is not all that complicated.

The biggest difference is that whereas the size of the negative had a direct correlation to the size of the enlargement, things are not as cut and dry with digital. Resolution, rather than sensor size plays the biggest role in the enlargements you make. Sensor size affects noise, so the bigger the sensor, the less noise. However, if you're shooting at low ISO and you're using a good noise reduction software, even those differences become academic. So, if you go out there and shoot digital the way you would slide film, you're good as gold.

Back