DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

NSW intermodal freighter

Pete_W

This is train #3112 containerized freight operated by QUBE Logistics. It runs from Port Botany in Sydney to an intermodal terminal in the regional town of Junee. This photo is of the return empty service back to the port and was taken in Goulburn, about 225km south west of Sydney.

Both locomotives are GE model C44aci units built by UGL Rail. The lead unit is in Rail First livery numbered CF4411 and the second unit is in QUBE livery and numbered QL012.

Panasonic S5II + LUMIX S 70-300/F4.5-5.6 at 100mm, ƒ/8.0 1/800s ISO1600

Qube's 3112 at Goulburn by Peter Watters, on Flickr

That's really nice. I need to develop some patience and capture a moving train (like this) rather than the path of least resistance (stationary subjects). I looked on the map and noticed that there is a Rail Heritage Centre in Goulburn. Also... examining the map... I think I found your shooting location (Braidwood Road). That's a good spot. I will try to find a similar vantage point (overpass) around here... somewhere! I also checked out the C44aci (UGL in Newcastle; Broadmeadow).

That's really nice. I need to develop some patience and capture a moving train (like this) rather than the path of least resistance (stationary subjects). I looked on the map and noticed that there is a Rail Heritage Centre in Goulburn. Also... examining the map... I think I found your shooting location (Braidwood Road). That's a good spot. I will try to find a similar vantage point (overpass) around here... somewhere! I also checked out the C44aci (UGL in Newcastle; Broadmeadow).

Yes, that was taken from the Braidwood Rd overpass. Great spot for trains in both directions and the brick wall is the perfect height to rest your arms holding the camera.

The Goulburn Heritage Rail Centre is the old government railways locomotive depot and roundhouse. They are open most days for visitors. Back in 2022 they held a 'Streamliners' event where they got a great lineup of old locomotives together. There are some photos on my Flickr page of this. Here is one:

Back