DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Question about Leica IId Luftwaffe Eigentum

G

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and now I already have a question: I've stumbled across (what I think) is a Luftwaffen version of a Leica IId. I know there are a lot of fakes around, but there are a few arguments against a fake: Black body, serial nr. 324976 (which falls in the s/n range for the IId), Fl.No. 38079. Round (not knurled) ring around the shutter button. No connection for a cable release. Luftwaffen Eigentum (Not just Luftwaffen) engraved in the metal part under the accessoire shoe. Elmar 1:3,5 F=50mm, apparently the chrome, uncoated version with the 'old' diafragm range (3,5/4,5/6,3...). No signs of the 'Reichsadler'. Body cap with a standard Leica engraving. Anybody who can give me more information about this beast is more than welcome. Things to look at more closely a.s.o.
Excuse my bad English: I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Peter

Hello,

You'll find a picture of the top of the camera as an attachment. I don't know if I can add more pictures to the same message.

Cheers,

Peter

37722.jpg

Dear Peter,

Just to correct the record, there was no model IId.

The camera is a 1939 model II.

In the USA it was also known as model "D".

Seems to be a beautiful and unusual camera. Give it a CLA and take some photos.

Best wishes,

Justin

Peter,
I'm pretty sure that your camera is a non genuine LUFTWAFFE LEICA, or, perhaps a modified russian (fed) camera.
I can provide a lots of info on collectibles Leicas.
I'm a proud member of the Leica Historical Society of America. I'm also in constant contact with Jim Lager, probably the greatest expert on old leicas in the world.
I hope you won't get offended by my opinion.
Regards

Stefano Pagliarani

Back