DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RR Night

1971_M5

DPRF-Patron
Top Poster Of Month
Thank you, Pete (and others here at DRPF) for giving me some inspiration to get out and shoot. It is always fun. Here are couple of "pull over on the side of the road" night shots. As I was driving home from work, I saw a row of railcars with reflected light -- and it looked kind of cool. Each time, I drove too far and had to make a U-turn. Although it's an industrial environment, it is peaceful in its own way with the typical noises and smells. The first picture is at the north end of the Stacy Yard (BNSF SIG) and the second is along Airport Way near the BNSF South Intermodal. It is always fun to get out and shoot. A good hobby! (Pasting the BBC code was not working for some reason, so I used "insert image" instead,)

colorado-street.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 20 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 64

airport-way-at-norfolk.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 25 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 64

Great photos John! I love a rail yard at night with the gleaming rails and lights. :daumenhoch-smilie:

The 'sunstar' (I guess it's from a headlight on a locomotive?) in the first photo is awesome. I am amazed you got that at f/8. I shoot mirrorless and the lenses have to be stopped down a lot further to get a decent sunstar.

Thank you, Pete (and others here at DRPF) for giving me some inspiration to get out and shoot. It is always fun. Here are couple of "pull over on the side of the road" night shots. As I was driving home from work, I saw a row of railcars with reflected light -- and it looked kind of cool. Each time, I drove too far and had to make a U-turn. Although it's an industrial environment, it is peaceful in its own way with the typical noises and smells. The first picture is at the north end of the Stacy Yard (BNSF SIG) and the second is along Airport Way near the BNSF South Intermodal. It is always fun to get out and shoot. A good hobby! (Pasting the BBC code was not working for some reason, so I used "insert image" instead,)

View attachment 13531

View attachment 13532

Thank-you, Barbie. It is fairly easy to capture stationary objects. That's probably why I lean in that direction. I've tried BIF's -- and it is very difficult. Kudos to you and the other BIF shooters!

Back