DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Spot Focus

G

Hello;
on page 58 of the instruction manual it explains how to lock the local/spot focus area. I just bought my maxxum 7 and am trying to learn how to use this great camera but I'm not understanding how to take advantage of this function. After I move the switch to the lock position and press the shutter release, it seems to refocus. To me the focus should stay locked. Am I doing something wrong? If there is anybody out there that knows and wants to make an old man feel stupid, now's your chance!
Thanks for reading!

Never mind. I figured out that the focus lock only means that the selected individual focus sensor is the only one that will be used for focusing. What an impressive piece of equipment. I love this thing!

Hi,

The way to lock the focus is to hold down the manual focus button near the AEL button. You can program this in custom functions so that you don't have to hold it down, but that pressing it activates MF (thus locking focus) and pressing again reactivates AF. This is how I use it - excellent for portraits.

Matt

Back