DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Thin-film interference without film

DrLex

P1100527-dprf.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX1
  • LUMIX G VARIO PZ 14-42/F3.5-5.6
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

What the heck are we looking at here?
This is something I often observe with 3D prints. The prints are done on a glass plate coated with a glorified hairspray, which sticks very well while the plate is heated and easily detaches when it cools down. Because the printed plastic shrinks a lot more than the glass when it cools down, the prints will gradually detach all by themselves, starting around the edges and going towards the center. While this is happening, colorful patterns can often be observed, similar to thin-film interference as with oil on water. Only, there is no film here, the light must be bouncing around in the very narrow space between the glass plate and the shiny surface of the detaching 3D print.
This was a particularly nice one, so I grabbed my trusty GX1 and enhanced the contrast and colors a bit in post.

Back