DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Using three primary coloured lights for a studio shot?

I saw a few studio shots a while ago lit by three lights: a red, a green, and a blue, coming from slightly different angles, but blending to white (of course) where they all hit the target. They rendered interestingly coloured shadows (C, M, Y, R, G, B) behind the subject. I'll be shooting a model dressed in white on Sunday and thought I'd try the same, shooting on a white background.
I plan to use small lights (Godox AD300Pro) set as far from the model as possible (~6 m) to get clearly defined shadows, and employ my wife for a test run before the model arrives.
Any tips?

I suspect you'll need carefully balanced lights with balanced gels to get a good white. Sounds like an interesting experiment :)

I set three lights with a red, a green and a blue filter approximately 40 cm apart on a line.
After a couple of guesses, the WB was reasonable in camera, so using the eyedropper WB setting on the collar of Storm's shirt in post took care of the rest.
No advanced balancing required.

Attachments

• 303A3328R.JPG
    EXIF
    303A3328R.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Back