DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Product icon

Nikon Z5

No permission to download. Please login first.
This is Nikon's entry-level "MILC". (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) It was their second camera body release in the Z system. The Z6 preceded it and was spec'd a bit higher, with a top deck LCD display in addition to the rear display and better video specs.

I bought it to replace my broken D610; decided it was a good time to go FF MILC, when the repair quote came back at about what a used version of the camera was worth. Sold almost all of my F-mount NIKKORs. (kept the 50/1.8D and 28-105D for the N90s) I reasoned that the better video could never be a BAD thing, even if I would seldom use it.

I watched Ken Rockwell's review, and I've always found that I agree with him about 86.2% of the time. One thing that struck me about his review was that the mode wheel is better placed where the right hand can reach it, rather than relocating it to the left side of the camera to make room for the top deck LCD.

In short, the camera is very ergonomic and easy to use. Some photographers who are used to full sized pro cameras might miss the lack of support for the pinky finger disturbing, but it is fine, once one gets used to the idea of having the right pinky below the body.

The controls are are crisp and they do just what you'd expect from Nikon.

Perhaps most importantly, the EVF is the best in class here. The Z5's viewfinder is better than the entry level Canons. Nikon knew this was an important factor to win folks over from the SLR world.

For this camera so far, I have the following humble lenses:
Might be time for a proper wide angle next? Or maybe the fast 35 that I always like to have in my system...

Here are a few pix from the Z5 and the Z 24-120/4.

NIK_1076 bw 1600.JPG
NIK_1114 bw 1800.JPG
Viewfinder
5.00 star(s)
Handling/ ergonomics
4.00 star(s)
Menu
4.00 star(s)
Share images
5.00 star(s)
Autofocus still images
5.00 star(s)
Autofocus sport
3.00 star(s)
Autofocus videos
4.00 star(s)
Dynamic range ISO 800 - 1600
5.00 star(s)
Dynamic range ISO 3200-6400
4.00 star(s)
High ISO (1600+) daylight
5.00 star(s)
High ISO (1600+) at night
5.00 star(s)
image quality jpeg
5.00 star(s)
image quality RAW
5.00 star(s)
Video quality 4K
4.00 star(s)
Price/ Perfomance ratio
5.00 star(s)
Author
Smaug
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Latest reviews

Pro
Price, ergonomics, image quality, outstanding lenses, EVF, two SD slots
Contra
Bigger and more expensive FF lenses, slow sports AF, no vertical flip, cropped 4K
For my needs, this camera is "excellent". Considering the price, it was hard to beat when I switched from another Nikon. For 4K video and indoor sports I'd select another camera. Otherwise, no regrets with the Z5. Buy it with the 24-200 zoom and the 50mm prime, and maybe the small 28mm prime. For professional work, get the 28-70 f/2.8.
Back