DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

“Digital cameras are doomed!”

The ‘AI’ part mentioned in my first post should probably be interpreted as the things like DALL-E and Midjourney that can generate “photos” apparently out of nothing (but in reality they must still be trained on good real photographs to be able to produce good output). At least that's what I think the typical doomsayer means when they claim that all photographers will soon be jobless. But as I explained, that's a grossly exaggerated prediction. Sure, if someone wants to quickly get a generic backdrop for a website or ad, they may now use such system instead of hiring a photographer, hence some jobs (arguably the least interesting ones) might disappear. But, there will always be a need to capture reality as it truly is, not as some machine thinks it might be.
I don't think the ‘AI’ tools for denoising, white balance, segmenting out objects and whatnot, are in any way a threat to photographers. On the contrary: they will just make their life easier. As a side note, none of those things are truly “intelligent,” but this is probably becoming a pointless discussion now that it's trendy to slap the ‘AI’ name on just anything that has some automatic aspect…

Back