DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

1TB Express Type A cards announced at NAB 2023

Joe Lynch

I have an A1 but only 80 GB and 180 GB CF Express Type A cards for a year and a half. I do a lot of video so those cards are a little small. I tend to use regular V90 256 GB cards instead, but I've been hoping for some larger capacity Type A cards to come available. Looks like Angelbird is finally going to produce some 1TB cards. I have been using Angelbird SSDs for years in two Atomos Ninja V's so I am hoping the cost of the 1TB card isn't more than a GMaster lens. No cost data available yet. I might buy one for a Christmas present to myself if priced like a Tamron zoom, LOL. My hope is that a 512GB version will be somewhat affordable. That would be perfect. Anyone else interested in the larger capacity Type A cards? The Sony cards seem very fast and reliable, just too small and very expensive.

Angelbird site now indicates the price is $500 US for the 1TB Type A card. That's a pretty good price in my opinion.

I think for 4k or 8k video a 1TB card is a good idea. But for photography, I would prefer several smaller ones. In case they fail, I do not loose too many images and it is neither too expensive to replace them

Yes, agreed, and I can share the same more standard SD cards between my Olympus and Sony cameras. With Angelbird putting some pressure on the Type A market, the prices may continue to come down to a reasonable level. That is my hope, anyway.

I have an A1 but only 80 GB and 180 GB CF Express Type A cards for a year and a half. I do a lot of video so those cards are a little small. I tend to use regular V90 256 GB cards instead, but I've been hoping for some larger capacity Type A cards to come available. Looks like Angelbird is finally going to produce some 1TB cards. I have been using Angelbird SSDs for years in two Atomos Ninja V's so I am hoping the cost of the 1TB card isn't more than a GMaster lens. No cost data available yet. I might buy one for a Christmas present to myself if priced like a Tamron zoom, LOL. My hope is that a 512GB version will be somewhat affordable. That would be perfect. Anyone else interested in the larger capacity Type A cards? The Sony cards seem very fast and reliable, just too small and very expensive.
Sony does provide larger CFExpress type A cards, these are also available in 320 and 640GB. However, these are really expensive, so the introduction of the 1TB from Angelbird is a big step forward and probably will 'force' Sony to lower the price in time. The Angelbird is prices around USD 499.

Back