DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A Couple of South Carolina “Big Boys”

Blufftonian

3B164CB5-31CB-430B-A1DC-0AEA44EA3EB6.jpeg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 280

344975E2-6E3B-46D8-A2EA-FF2FDC488849.jpeg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 180

Fantastic images mate! Not somewhere I would want to cool off in the mid-day heat :)

Fantastic images mate! Not somewhere I would want to cool off in the mid-day heat :)
Thank you. These American Alligators aren't particularly aggressive. I mean I wouldn't want to get too close but they're not like your salties!

I wouldn't want to test that theory! very nice pictures all the same :)

Great captures.

If it were me..... ootanaboot goes off to fetch a longer lens.

How close did you get to them? I see you used a fairly long lens so I guess it was a good distance, but your capures look so intimately close.

Thank you. These American Alligators aren't particularly aggressive. I mean I wouldn't want to get too close but they're not like your salties!
Fortunately don’t get any Salties where I live (too far south), but I grew up in close (sometimes far too close) proximity to Nile Crocodiles… enough to put me off swimming in rivers and lakes for life ;)

Great captures.

If it were me..... ootanaboot goes off to fetch a longer lens.

How close did you get to them? I see you used a fairly long lens so I guess it was a good distance, but your capures look so intimately close.
I was probably 50‘-60’ away with a Nikon 500mm PF lens on my Nikon D500. These guys were just resting And the second big guy just yawning. There were plenty of wading birds close to them feeding nonchalantly.

Fortunately don’t get any Salties where I live (too far south), but I grew up in close (sometimes far too close) proximity to Nile Crocodiles… enough to put me off swimming in rivers and lakes for life ;)
I grew up in the North of England - nothing in the lakes and rivers there to worry about at all. But here on the South Carolina coast there’s a gator in practically every decent sized body of fresh water. Not too many are the size of those guys though.

I prefer to see these behemoths from a distance and when they are sleeping.
Good and fine photos.

Back