DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A7RV movie button change

ski542002

Hi: On the A7RV in photo (NOT video) mode, is there a way to re-map the video on-off button to perform AF/MF on-off? That said, IF I then switch the camera mode dial to MOVIE, I want the function to revert to start-stop a video clip. I don't want to have to go back into the menus (in video mode) to make the button start-stop a video. That'd be too inconvenient during a shoot. My C2 button at the top of the camera is already in-use.

There are many scenarios where I toggle from AF to MF and I'd like a custom function easily accessible on the top of the camera. Some of my lenses don't have a AF/MF switch.

Thanks in-advance for any thoughts.

Hello again: Well, you can belay my question.

Somehow I found the correct toggle and better still, when I switch to movie mode the movie button reverts to its default. Don't have a clue how I found this. I started taking shots of my screen with iPhone to help remember where the hell I am with the menus for this great camera!

So please share what you did.
Good morning and sorry I cannot provide that information.

As are so many of the solutions that I have accidentally come up with trying to solve a problem with Sony‘s menu system, for this one I did not copy down the steps and would literally not have a clue where to even start.

Possibly someone else monitoring this thread will have an answer. And if I do find it again I will post screenshots on this thread.

Why are you not using the dedicated AF/MF button instead?

AF/MF Selector​

still image, movie, slow&quick motion

You can easily switch the focusing mode from auto to manual and vice versa while shooting without changing your holding position.
  1. MENU →
    s_menu_setup.png
    (Setup) → [Operation Customize] → [
    cE381.png
    Custom Key/Dial Set.] or [
    cE660.png
    Custom Key/Dial Set.] → desired button → [AF/MF Selector Hold] or [AF/MF Selector Toggle].

Menu item details

AF/MF Selector Hold:Switches the focusing mode while the button is held down.AF/MF Selector Toggle:Switches the focusing mode until the button is pressed again.

Note​

• You cannot set the [AF/MF Selector Hold] function to [Left Button], [Right Button] or [Down Button] of the control wheel.
  • If the lens is equipped with an AF/MF selector switch, the state of the switch on the lens will take priority.

I'll need to experiment with your suggestion. I don't see an AF/MF button on the A7RV. I do see the back button labeled AF-ON. I've always used that button to activate AF since I started using Sony cameras 4 years ago.

I still have set the movie button, to cycle focus on or off. It's just a convenient location that I can access quickly. I can quickly override my AF and double check focus manually just by hitting the movie button. For some of my shooting, architecture for example, AF is ALWAYS off even if I should hit the AF-ON button.

You are correct. The button is labeled as such on the camera. The function of the button is programmable using the Custom Key setting instructions I listed above. This is from the on-line help manual for the camera. I setup my camera this way, press for MF, press again for AF.

Back