DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Are these CZ lenses unfairly overlooked

grumpoid

Hi all,
We often see Zeiss users going bananas over the likes of the 21/2.8, 28/2, 85/1.4, 100/2 etc....but what about the following....28/2.8, 35/2.8, 85/2.8 & 100/3.5....are these un-fairly over-looked? what do users think and how do you think they compare to their more exotic cousins above?
Cheers Steve.M.

Hi Steve,
I find the 85/2.8 and the 100/3.5 to be excellent lenses, just a bit slow but otherwise compact,lightweight, pleasant to use and very sharp .
Cheers,
John

> [I have the 28/2.8, the 85/2.8 and the 135/2.8 and like them all. It is especially nice that they were all purchased at great prices relative to other Zeiss lenses. I find them very useful tools and feel they are often overlooked by Contax users. I also purchased a 200/3.5 Tele Tessar for a song and am having fun using it as well. I'm not sure that the optical quality of these fine lenses isn't approached in some cases by the non-Zeiss aftermarket alternatives I also own, at least for routine photography but I will say I am certain that the build quality and feel of these lenses is remarkably higher in most cases, and I just prefer using them.

I am waiting on the arrival of my new CZ 28-85 zoom which I finally decided I could not live without after hearing so much about it being one of the world's best zoom lenses. I plan to test it head to head against the equivalent Yashica product which cost 10% of what I paid for this one on e-bay. Stay tuned.

By the way, what does anyone know, if anything, about the CZ 100/2? It appears to be more or less a standard, non-macro short telephoto. Anyone have any experience with it or know what they go for? I'm looking at one on e-bay and the price seems moderate.

Cheers!] >

Has anyone tried or thought of trying the Voigtlander 125mm F2.5 Apo Lanthar 1:1 Macro lens which is available in C/Y mount? Robert White in UK has it for £395 and it gets good reports. No doubt it is available at other dealers as well. It interests me not only becaose of the good reports but also because of the 1:1 macro and the quite fast aperture.
John

>Not that one, no But I do own two 90 mm 3.5 Voigtlander APO close-up lenses with C/Y mounts. (One was a gift) Bokeh is not up to Zeiss quality, but otherwise it takes careful comparison of 8X10 with a loop to see any difference in sharpness from my 60mm C Zeiss Macro. The Voigtlander loses, but only by a hair

By the way, one is for sale un used, original box

Dave

That's interesting Dave. I already have the 100/3.5 Zeiss and the 90 length in G mount so I'm sorted at that length but the fastish 125 macro intrigued me. It sounds from what you say that the Voightlanders can't quite cut it against the Zeiss but perhaps they can be excused on price grounds. Still the difference might be irritating to someone used to CZ. How are the Voightlanders for build quality?
Sorry, I've gone off topic again.
John

>The build is all metal with a metal hood and metal screw in lens cap. Evidently, the tubes etc. are made in China where metal working is cheap.

It feels and looks great... especially on my S2 And yes, a CZ fanatic might be irritated. But only him. Ordinary people would never notice the difference up to 11 X 14 at least

Dave

How about a trade anyone?

Dave

Sounds very nice. I shall investigate the 125 (unusual length) but I shall probably have to sell something to fund it - daughter's wedding coming up in October.
Cheers,
John

Hi Folks. It is quite some time now that I last used the Contax system, after using the Canon digital 20D.Although I have taken some great shots,I still have a flare for film, and the Contax system. As I am now in my later 70s I feel that carting heavy long lenses around is getting beyond my capability. I did have the N1 system with the 24-85 and the 100-300. The later system was the RX with a few lenses. I cannot remember which they were. I would be grateful if you could suggest a system with an RX and lenses just for general photography,landscape, and flowers.
Many Thanks. Ken Taylor.

Hi Kenneth,

How about this light weight selection for your RX? Start with 28mm and 35mm F2.8 Distagon prime lenses. Add a 50mm F1.7 Planar. Couple the Planar with a Teleplus/Vivitar 2x Macro converter lens (don't laugh, it gives great quality and is light) and finish off with a 135mm if needed. Or even go for a Vario Sonnar 28-85mm for a one lens solution.

Regards,

Paul

Back