DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best Lens for Contax G2 snapshots & family photos

G

Hi all,

I am going to buy G2 and I can only afford one piece of lens only. Can any body suggest one for me?

The camera will only used for snapshot / family photos but should be high image quality.

thx
jonathan

This has been talked about before. Look in the archives. My selection would be the 45mm lens.

Hi Jonathan

For this tasks I use always the 45mm 2,0. I own the 21, 28 an 90 as well. Some times a 35 would be helpfull, e.g. groups of people in a small room. I could see an alternative in using the 35-70 zoom. I prefer prime lenses.

What lens ever you buy, the quality of the different G-lenses is no criteria. They are all very fine.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Jonathan,

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. It seems most people lean towards the 45mm. I don't own that one, but do own the 90mm, 35mm, and 28mm. The 35mm is a real gem, IMHO, since for the group shots you mentioned it has just a little more width, yet I haven't found that it distorts in any significant way when shooting an individual at fairly near distances. Other users might disagree - I'm not a Pro, but it's a damned nice lens, especially if it's going to be your only lens. Buying the 45mm, later on (others feel free to tell me I'm full of it) you might find that is just isn't wide enough, and then you end up forking out more dough for the 28mm - yet the 28mm is nearly a full stop slower than the 35mm, and I found on a recent trip to Cuba that for some indoor shots, the 28 didn't cut it. Why? Because some historical buildings don't allow flash, and that extra stop was what I needed (being the absent-minded dummy I am, I forgot my tripod at home!). So, the 28 stayed in my bag most of the time. It's now for sale, and I'm looking to maybe pick up the 21mm (used, of course!).

End of tome.

Mark

hi folks,

actually I am canon guy and already having a serieS of L lenses. Now I want to change my photography style in which to use more handy camera.

i tentatively will buy a 45mm one, because I saw my friend using GR1V with 28mm. The photos he shot are always having a grey cirle at the surrounding. So, I am afraid using too wide lenses may also introduce such kind of images in G2.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Jonathan

I haven't seen any such grey circle using the 35/2 Planar. Sharp and distortion free.

Frankly, I also agree 35/2 is more vesatile usage and suit most purpose. I am a bit headache now!

I have the 28, 35, 45, 90 and the 35 and 28 are the most often used. They perform beautifully with no vignetting (dark areas at edges). There have been a couple of reports that the 28mm with filter and hood mounted may vignet ever so slightly but I haven't seen that. For the 1 lens does all I'd also pick the 35mm.

The obvious choice would be the zoom, but that may be out of your budget. Otherwise, I suggest the 35/2. IMHO it's the most versatile of the G primes, and is a little less critical to focus wide open when you're close to your subject than the 45. Also, it's better for shooting in tight quarters.

--Rick

Back