DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best Order for Workflow

mcraige65

For the sake of simplicity, let's say I'm using LRC and Photo AI. Which is better:

Open in LRC, use File --> Plug-in Extras --> Photo AI (to edit as raw), send to LRC as DNG, crop, edit colors, etc.
-or-
Open in LRC, crop, edit colors, etc., use Photo --> Edit in --> Photo AI (sends to Photo AI as TIFF), save back to LRC

In other words, should I edit raw to crop and fix colors first, then edit in Photo AI as a TIFF or edit in Photo AI as raw, then crop and fix colors in LRC as DNG?

When Photo AI first came out, I think that Topaz recommended the first approach, where Photo AI gets the raw file to work with. A small amount of functionality gets lost when it comes back into Lr as a DNG, but the results could be worth that.

I used Topaz Sharpen and Photo AI as plug-ins to Capture One. Since Topaz may introduce a color shift I always (also) apply C1 editing on the DNG after the Topaz application. Since I am over to DxO with their excellent NR and sharpening in PL6 Elite, I apply Topaz mostly to correct parts which have motion blur and I perform the Topaz correction on the full size jpeg resulting from PL6. If color shifted I use Topaz as a plug in to PL6 (exporting from Topaz back to PL6 as DNG) and do final corrections in PL6.

Cheers,
Ab

For the sake of simplicity, let's say I'm using LRC and Photo AI. Which is better:

Open in LRC, use File --> Plug-in Extras --> Photo AI (to edit as raw), send to LRC as DNG, crop, edit colors, etc.
-or-
Open in LRC, crop, edit colors, etc., use Photo --> Edit in --> Photo AI (sends to Photo AI as TIFF), save back to LRC

In other words, should I edit raw to crop and fix colors first, then edit in Photo AI as a TIFF or edit in Photo AI as raw, then crop and fix colors in LRC as DNG?
I do everything in LrC first, than send to Photo AI or Topaz Sharpen or Topaz Denoise as TIFF. Works for me.

Noise reduction should always be done first on the raw file firstly before any editing IMHO

Noise reduction should always be done first on the raw file firstly before any editing IMHO
Yes, I agree, first noise reduction then the rest, that prevents sharpen algorithms to see noise as objects to be sharpened causing artefacts.

Back