DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cloudscape

Hello Rich,

welcome again ... now to the public part of our SIGMA-forum, too.

Nice picture! ;)

Another example that the so-called "kit-lens" (18-50mm DC 3,5-5,6) performs quite well indeed.

The only point, I would like to make. .... Is the horizon really that slanted? Maybe, of course, that is goes uphill to the left?!

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Thank You :)
The farm was slanting quite alot here. I wanted to show as much of the hill slant as possible. I could have evened the slant out to make it look natural but this is the true look of the farm.

Thanks again..

Rich

Hello Rich,

welcome again ... now to the public part of our SIGMA-forum, too.

Nice picture! ;)

Another example that the so-called "kit-lens" (18-50mm DC 3,5-5,6) performs quite well indeed.

The only point, I would like to make. .... Is the horizon really that slanted? Maybe, of course, that is goes uphill to the left?!

Klaus

Hi Rich,

I just "checked" your profile (sorry for this word!).

Are you a SIGMA DSLR-newcomer .... or do you have some experience with SIGMA cameras?! It would be nice to know more about you?!

As far as I am concerned, .... I tripped over SIGMA in 2005. In those days, I had always dreamed of a digital SLR-cam.
In fact, the SIGMA SD10 then was the first D-SLR that (sold off!) was cheapest on the market. I then got it it with (your!) 18-50 DC KIT-lens.
Actually, I have never thought this lens to be low quality .... if anything ... I often use it with my SD9 on bicycle tours.

Well, ... my SIGMA story ... to be continued.

After some severe SD10 disappointments ... which is the usual thing when using the cam first ... some burning ambition hit me with this "sophisticated" cam.
After some weeks of training, I step by step became absolutely fascinaded of this camera ... colours, resolution, the three-dimensional look of its pictures were really finest! :)

Klaus

:talker: Well i first stared off this hobby in December of 2007. I first bought a Sony DDC-H7 (Bridge Camera). I wanted a DSLR but couldn't afford the one I was after (A Sony A350 or A700). I used the Sony for a couple of months and decided to sell it and upgrade to a Sony DSC R1. It is slightly out dated but better than the DSC H7 for quality and pro features. I was just about to buy it but then changed my mind. I left that camera and didnt buy one for a while. I left it untill July 2008 when I had gained enough money to but the Sony A700. But before I went out and bought it my dad had a Canon EOS-1D. I had used that for about a month and was convinced that this camera hobby was turning into more than a hobby. I took loads of photos with the Canon and even entered into my town photo competition (they give the results in September). I was now sure that I and willing to spend alot of money on a camera so I bought lots of magazines and read every single page of all 6 magazines, and am now half knowledgable of what I learnt in the months of using my Sony DSC H7. I read too many reviews on the most recent cameras. I was leaning towards the Sony A700 and checked on the net all the info I could gather. I had my money ready and was going to buy the camera.
I woke up the next morning and read a big list of % reviews the magazine had given all cameras currently on the market. I think the sony A700 had 91% but I looked at the lower percentages and saw one ..... The Sigma SD14. I think they gave it 79% and they said this is a dissapointing DSLR. I looking into this on the net and stumbled into the Sigma UK website. I saw that they only had two cameras on their site. I clicked on the Sigma SD14 and read all the info. At that point my view totally changed. This is the camera I was exactly after. I am not one for worrying about the best screen size or quality from the screen, the amount of megapixles or even the brand. I was amazed how I didn't find this camera before. I had at that point dropped all magazines and bought the Sigma SD14 from Bristol Cameras. I was this convinced and proud of Sigma that I put my trust in their knowledge. That night I couldn't sleep as I was tooooo happy with my purchace. I am so happy to be different from all the rest "Canon" "Nikon" 'cough' .... :lol:

Sigma RULE.

I will never look back and am still extreamly pround of the camera today. I am a happy Sigma user and want to show off the quality of colour & detail to everyone.

Thank You SIGMA.....

:proud:

Sorry I know this picture isn't part of this post, but I just wanted to show the colour from my proud Sigma SD14

Hi Rich,

I just "checked" your profile (sorry for this word!).

Are you a SIGMA DSLR-newcomer .... or do you have some experience with SIGMA cameras?! It would be nice to know more about you?!

As far as I am concerned, .... I tripped over SIGMA in 2005. In those days, I had always dreamed of a digital SLR-cam.
In fact, the SIGMA SD10 then was the first D-SLR that (sold off!) was cheapest on the market. I then got it it with (your!) 18-50 DC KIT-lens.
Actually, I have never thought this lens to be low quality .... if anything ... I often use it with my SD9 on bicycle tours.

Well, ... my SIGMA story ... to be continued.

After some severe SD10 disappointments ... which is the usual thing when using the cam first ... some burning ambition hit me with this "sophisticated" cam.
After some weeks of training, I step by step became absolutely fascinaded of this camera ... colours, resolution, the three-dimensional look of its pictures were really finest! :)

Klaus

Attachments

• SDIM1149.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM1149.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 9
Hi Rich,

if you want an "easy" cam, then go for a CANON or NIKON!

SIGMA SD (if you know how to work it!) will give you the most brilliant and plaastic photos, you can think of.

Be ambitious!! :)

This shot .... just done this morning ... is off topic in this thread as well ... never mind ... we are just among a very few users here in the forum ..... so it is not necessary to open a new thread therefore. (What a silly sentence!! :D)

View attachment 376

SIGMA SD14 / SIGMA 18-200mm (@200mm) / F:13) / ISO 100 / Automatik Bellows /

http://sigmauserforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28

Flashlight held on a special rail.

Klaus

Attachments

• sample 4.JPG
    EXIF
    sample 4.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 15
That is a tough but excellent shot. I'm impressed.:proud:

I totally agree, that is the reason why I bought the Sigma, it wants the user to work with it, not just to let the camera do everything.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,

if you want an "easy" cam, then go for a CANON or NIKON!

SIGMA SD (if you know how to work it!) will give you the most brilliant and plaastic photos, you can think of.

Be ambitious!! :)

This shot .... just done this morning ... is off topic in this thread as well ... never mind ... we are just among a very few users here in the forum ..... so it is not necessary to open a new thread therefore. (What a silly sentence!! :D)

View attachment 344

SIGMA SD14 / SIGMA 18-200mm (@200mm) / F:13) / ISO 100 / Automatik Bellows /

http://sigmauserforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28

Flashlight held on a special rail.

Klaus

Back