DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX

Francis, Matthiass, and Thomas.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I had purchased the manual before and I think the lower end of focus is EV2. Having the light turn on at EV5 gives me even more confidence. I will look at the RTS II, possibly as a good backup. I had forgotten about the Hassy adapter for the C/Y mount! It's good to hear that people didn't just "collect" this camera, but have used it for true commercial applications.

Now I will start looking for a Body and Zoom lens in good shape. Will report back when I have accomplished this.

Best regards,

Alan

Hi Folks,

I would like to share the experience which I recenlty encountered.

Instruction manual of AX says that each battery could last for 45 rolls of film. I am not expecting the max. no. Normally, I could make the battery last for around 20 rolls. Recently, my AX told me that my battery only lasts for 8 rolls. Having checked and recalled what I had done, I found myself that I turned on the AX and idled it for 10 days or more.

If this was the reason, I would recommend AX users to turn off the AX after using. If my thought is wrong, please let me know. I will send the AX for repairing.

Happy New year.

Francis.

I am thinking of buying either an AX or RX, is the AX worth the extra money? I would be using it with a Planar 50/1.4

Riley

> I have no experience with the RX but I've had the AX for about a year now > and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The 1,4 50mm has become my primary > lens and the 2,8 28mm my secondary. I have the Aria that I use the f-4 > 80-200 exclusively as I have found the AX really does not function quickly > with a zoom -- it was not meant to. With fixed focal lengths it is perfect > in my openion.

Hi Riley,

the difference in price is about 300 $/Euro for a uused one.
I´m using both cameras and each one has its strength. So if I had to decide which one to keep then I would have a problem !
AX is really big, not for small hands. RX is compact compared to RX. AX is perfectly d&ed and best for big lenses (e.g. VS 35-135), a P50 looks a bit "lonesome" at the big body. RX is perfect with lenses like 1.4/85 or 1.4/35.
Short, handling a P50 the RX is a very good choice and you don´t need AX if you don´t need AF.

Dieter

If you ever do macro work, the AX has a big advantage over all other SLRs of any make. The 10mm back-focussing movement of the film plane is like having a built-in 10mm extension tube. Besides auto-focus with MF lenses, this extra capability to focus closer than normal is a big bonus. It's the main reason why the AX is now my first choice of 35mm SLR.

Do not forget on the AX to mention the built-in 10mm extension tube that allows for superb close-up work with any lense! Also, the availability of the SUPERB D-9 true data back, which allows not only time/date information, but exposure information to be imprinted on the film as well.

The AX is a truly remarkable camera, with the only downside being the size, but it is very easy to handle, and after some use, the size issue goes completely away.

Regards,

Austin

> Riley,

Buy the AX. You will love it. I have both the AX and the RX and really prefer the "feel" of the AX ... expecially the auto focus. I believe that the flash sync speed may be higher with the AX also.

michael.

> Just a timely reminder to all those participating in this thread, I have an AX for sale along with a D8 databack. There's been only moderate interest in the immediate post-Christmas period so the prices are a little negotiable. Yes, I agree with all the comments here so far. It has many pluses but does not suit small hands. I found the focus entirely adequate with zooms, except in very low light, but in those circumstances the speed needs to slow so that it can pick up the contrast point without over-shooting the mark. My EOS system doesn't manage much, if any better with comparable aperture lenses.

> Yes it does. 1/200 sec v 1/125. While I think of it, when I compared my camera with an RX, the focusing screen was brighter as

Back