DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G lenses v C/Y mount, any difference?

As the title suggests, is there any difference between the 2 ranges? I was hoping to get a Contax G2 but due to price, decided to plump for a Contax RXII with CZ 50mm Planar f1.7 which is in near mint condition. I’ve developed my first roll of FP4 and wouldn’t say that the results are any better than my Pentax gear, which has slightly disappointed me. I’ve been lusting after a Contax for sometime and the RXII is stunning and has all the features I would ever need. I read so much about legendary CZ lenses and quality control but could I have a bad copy? Is it worth buying the 50mm f1.4 to compare?

I’ve also read comments stating how close 35mm is to medium format due to CZ lenses but I’m not seeing anything remarkable. What is considered the best lens in the C/Y range for sharpness and contrast? Back in the 1990’s, I won a Contax T2 in a competition and distinctly remember a photo I took of a cobbled street…it was stunning! There was just something about the cobbles, which were slightly damp, an almost 3d look about them.

I've just made a little comparison between the Zeiss Planar 1,4/50 and the Yashica DSB 1,9/50, both on a Sony A7 I.
As far as I'm concerned, the Zeiss is better, of course. And I suppose it will be even much better when it comes to difficult light situations: the T* coating is very good. I love the Planar - but it might cost 10-15 times of a DSB 1,9/50...

DSC01619N2.JPG
  • SONY - ILCE-7
  • ----
  • 1/45 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

DSC01620N2.JPG
  • SONY - ILCE-7
  • ----
  • 1/45 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

The best C/Y lens for sharpness and contrast? I'm not sure but I suppose that these might be very good:
  • Distagon 3,5/15
  • Distagon 2,8/21
  • Distagon 2,0/28
  • Makro-Planar 2,8/100 (I saw a comparison with the Planar 1,4/85 and the Makro-Planar was better in sharpness and contrast)
  • Vario-Sonnar 3,3-4,0/28-85: in comparison with a lot of other zoom lenses it seems to be very good.
I only have the two latter ones of them - I'm very happy with them.

As for the 3D, I remember to have got it on several of my coloured and black-and-white slides - not sure about the lenses: some of the slides might have been taken with the Planar 2,0/135 and the Planar 1,4/85, among others.

Michael

Thanks Michael, appreciate your input. I think I’m going to buy a 28mm and a 135mm, if I can find decent copies. I’m also curious to know if the 50mm f1.4 is a better performer than the 50mm f1.7

On a different note, I have an option to buy a 135 f2.8 in excellent condition and price but there is some balsam separation, which the dealer says won’t affect the images. I could have it on 15 days approval but not sure whether this condition will deteriorate rapidly or if I’d get many years out of it. Do you have any experience with this kind of fault?

I'm very sorry to say that I don't have any experience with this problem.
But: It seems to me that the 135 Sonnar is offered rather frequently. So it might be possible to find a better one I suppose.
Mine has been used a LOT by its pre-owners - so it doesn't feel "hand-smooth" any more. But I get very good photos when I use it.

As for the 50mm 1.7 and 1.4: Me too, I would be curious to know something about this comparison...

Michael

Back