DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N-Digital - the ultimate Contax Fan-Test....

Sorry to here that marcus missed a crucial weeding pic because the batts failed...we have however all had this problem before, even on a Canon EOS1 system...

I have not yet been able to test the ND although UK rep Frazer is trying to fix this for me with his counter part in France. I am down near Toulouse in France and my very excellent pro-shop dumped distributing contax about a year ago because of a lack of interest from local pros...

Reading between the lines, there seems to be both hardware (batts, flash sync, lens speeds, warm-up time, ISO rating probs) and software/firmware problems with the ND at the moment which would obviously affect handling and image quality. IMHO Conatx will have "top men" working to resolve these issues now to produce ND2 if they are to stay in the game. With the number of problems that have cropped up with the ND, I don't see many shooters rushing out to buy it. The Images it produces may be great but at what cost?

Kodak have certainly upped the Anti with the 14mb CMOS chip which my pro-ship staff from T. saw in cologne and rate very highly. At 4000 USD it blows a serious hole in other manufacturers pricing policies - the new canon 14mb is priced at 10,000 - 2.5 x the price of the Kodak. Crucially too, the new kodak (according to specs published on www.dpreview.com) uses no anti-aliasing software during image capture, thus rendering sharper image quality from the digital files. At the moment, most digital files need tweaking in PS before they can be supplied to the client and most digital images at the moment, require some sharpening before they are right...Kodak it seems are ahead of the game..contax it seems have some work to do.

I still remain interested in the Contax N System. I would dearly love to shoot all my work with contax, but at the moment, as I have said before the N system has too many warts on it for me...

Best Andy

Errr sorry I of course meant Marc Williams, who had been having problems shooting "wedding" pics not some "weeding" pics... which of course is a totally different subject. Still I am sure images of plant life would be just as stimulating ! All these years and I still can't type...or spell for that matter....

Gary, this option is directly accessible from a "developer" panel of the software. A bit lower, if you check a "dark correction" box, your long exposure RAW files will have less noice after conversion. In addition, there is a "set prefarence" button at the bottom of the developer panel. Hell knows what "prefarence" means, but there you have a choice of 8 or 16 bit conversion.

Back