DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

>Marc,

Thanks for setting me straight on the D1-X. It will be interesting to see how the ND performs for you shooting your next wedding. Thanks for the test.

michael.

Hi Michael,
let me briefly go back to the color profile issue.
Marc is correct in saying that the ND delivers TIFFs in sRGB - at least this is the most likely color space and gamut according to my (quite well calibrated) system.

The annoyance comes from the fact, that any other camera (even a P&S like the Canon G2 or Sony DSC40) has an embedded profile with whatever they deliver - you can or can not convert that to Adobe RBG 1998 in Photoshop but at least it tells you like it is.

My ND (and maybe it is only mine) gives me sRGB JPEGs, sRGB in converted RAWs but NO profile in TIFFS from the CF-Card.

Particularly funny is the result of RAW developer when asking it to create Adobe RGB 1998 TIFFs: Photoshop then asks me if I'm really serious to work with Kodak Transparent Color... and the colors that this yields are funny - to be polite.

I would love to talk the BibbleLabs guys into supporting ND Raws - but they are a little Nikon-heavy. However, what they get out of RAWs in no time is amazing... (www.bibblelabs.com)

Well, I was foiled again. Yesterday, while setting up for todays' wedding, (I always test everything at every setting), I discovered that the ND is malfunctioning when in any auto mode. Set AE and the window just flashes 1/8000th of a second even in a darkened room. F/2.8 and it's 1/8000th. Zero picture with a flat line histogram. Changed batteries, hooked up the A/C cord, switched CF cards, changed lenses twice... nothing changed. Called Contax tech support and they said the obvious...so, off it goes on Monday.

Seems to work fine in Manual and X, and the flash works okay, so I am still taking it to the wedding...but now I have to lug my trusty Nikon D1-X also, just in case.

Argggggggh!!! Will I ever get this thing to function well enough to trust it? The pictures (even in J-Peg 1) are so beautiful.

Marc, I was talking to Eric Bibble, owner of www.biblelabs.com, the other day. He said that he will be happy to include Contax ND in his list of supported cameras for that marvelous RAW Developer if someone from Contax talks to him. He said that in fact he tried to approach them, but was given a cold shoulder. I am going to talk to Laurie McGinnis on monday about this. I wonder if you can support me. Maybe we will be able to enlist several more people to make it sound more important.

count me in, but i don't think Laurie ( a very nice person and helpful) = is the right person, u need higher up support that has contact with Japan

> Irakley, Count me in.....MACBibble 3.0 software is nice!!! Watched a friend use F100 RAW files on a Mac G4 dual processor with OSX platform....it screams!!!!!Very user friendly!!! How about if we sent an e-mail around this site for everbody to ad input then send it off to Contax??? Bert

Would be nice, Bert. Let's also ask Dirk to talk to Contax people in Europe.

Irakly, Mehrdat et alii,

I would be happy if I could help you out in this matter. BUT I do want to manage expectations here.

I am now in talks since months with Contax/Kyocera Europe about support of this site financially and content wise, reactions to user feedback etc. Also first contacts have been established to Kyocera Japan.

But up to now there is NO REACTION, not even the slightest interest. They just ignore it.

I will send a more detailed e-mail to all Contaxinfo members about this issue in the coming weeks.

So I do not believe, that a mass e-mail from all members directly to Kyocera will be even read.

The only hope that I have is, that by collecting the signatures of the interested people and present this to the decision makers in Japan and force them to show a reaction.

Quite frankly, if Contax is not even interested in what his costumers are thinking, maybe I should think twice about my efforts and commitment which by far exceed the hobby level - financially and time wise...

Feel free to send an e-mail to webmaster@contaxinfo.com regarding your intentions with the software for th ND. I will collect all e-mails for 2 weeks and present them then to the appropriate people in Japan.

Dirk

Bibble would be great for Contax digital sales. It has to be better than their Raw developer. I just hope it would get supporte on Mac platforms first. It is my impression that many commercial people work with Macs as I do,and having a version for OS X would be great.
My only bigger wish would be Adobe support in their upcoming raw data converter.

Back