DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Irakly, My power was out, so I couldn't call you as I couldn't get on line to see your message.

Otola, The major disappointment with the ND has been the lack of software equal to the camera itself. And no preview for RAW.

James, I passed on the Kodak 14n. Calumet called and was ready to ship, one day after I sold all my Nikon gear to fund Canon lens purchases. The Canon 1Ds is proving itself an increadible performer. More than I expected even given all the upfront hype that preceded it.

But we still can do a more comprehensive side-by-side and include my new Canon 10D in the mix.

Just to pour some fuel to the flames:

I just came across a news release that Kyocera Germany has reinforced their management team in and they want to "emphasize the digital segment and significantly gain market share" (freely translated). This news is dated March 4th, 2003... happy guessing!
http://www.worldofphoto.de/meldung.htm$N10926 sorry guys - only in german...

>I'm looking for a digital camera, just a bit above the low end, for >documentation purposes. > >If someone on this list has gone through 2-3 digitals over the past 2-3 >years and would like to part with their low-end one, either as a sale or >rental, please let me know off-list. > >Thanks, > >Don Williams >La Jolla, CA

<<< Most wedding, sports, journalistic and wildlife shooters use something else >>>

I recently shot a wedding reception dinner for a friend of mine with my N1/24-85 compo.It was just not working for me as the AF was way too slow.

As much as I love the my Contax gears, I would not use the N system for wedding or any indoor event if I do that professionally. I would dig out my older Nikon.

Marc, or any other wedding shooters, any comments on the N1/ND for this situation?

Actually, I went from using my RTS to the N system for shooting weddings. I only use it for the candid shots, with the 24-85 and 90-300 zooms.The quality is every bit as good as I was getting with the RTS and the prime lens' I used. Yes the AF is slow compared to either Nikon or Canon, but it's way faster than manual focus, plus I can still focus manually if I want to. In low light and dancing shots, I just set the zoom to 24mm and f8 with a focus distance of 5-6 ft. That way everything is in focus.

Like most pieces of equipment it's about working withing the limitations of the system and then getting creative within those boundaries. Actually, weddings can work to your advantage in many ways with the AF in a low light situation, as you can focus on a point between someone's tux and their white shirt. I find the two zooms to be incredible. Have I missed shots because the AF wasn't fast enough?, probably, but then I also missed shots with a manual focus RTS. All I do know is that the shots I do get are great thanks to this system.

Gareth, there is no arguing with a person that gets the results they want. I've also used the N1 and ND for weddings on occassion, to good result.

Yet, for shots in the area of what a Canon 1Ds or Nikon F-5/D1-X are capable of I've seen a huge difference. I can shoot across the room with a 200mm at f/2.8 and grab focus on the eye of the bride...instantly catching the fleeting expression while placing the background distractions out of focus. I don't wish to give up that option out of loyality to any brand of camera.

Hey Marc, as they say "whatever floats yer boat" I'm curious how do you present proofs to your clients when you shoot a wedding digitally. I'm just itching to get a digital system and weddings would be ideal. I only shoot about 15-20 weddings a year, but if I could get rid of the time I spend putting proofs together, that alone would justify jumping into the digital arena. Last time I looked I was spending about $30,000 a year on lab fees. I would love to keep that cash, especially if it saves me time too.

Look forward to your input.

Cheers

Gareth, Up until now digital saved a bucket of money, but was a bit more labor intensive.

The RAW processors from the manufactures were quite slow. But when PhotoShop 7 added a browser, and Adobe recently launched their PS Adobe RAW processor, the work-flow time has been considerably reduced.

PROOFING:
PS has a contact sheet feature that automatically proofs any file full of images you select at any size you want. You can then print out 13X19 contact sheets. Or you can use the roll feature on most higher end printers like the Epson 2200, and set up a 4X6 or 5X7batch processing action in PS, which runs while I go watch TV or do something else.

No matter how you cut it, it requires more of your time. However, the creative control is in your hands and as you get better at it the time shortens.

Personally, I don't do the proofing thing with my clients. I shoot their wedding, and the next time they see me is to pick up their Album, matted enlargements, and A CD-ROM and matching contact sheet with all of their images to do with as they will.

Hi Marc. Thanks for the input. I was thinking 13x19 contact sheets would be a nice touch. I'm curious though how you go from shooting the wedding to just giving them an album and enlargements. Do you sell your creative control as part of the package? and tell the client you will put the album together for them? I tried this once and got into hot water by putting in too many pictures of the father's girlfriend!!! I guess it's because I never really commited to doing the "wedding photographer" thing, but I get a lot of calls to do it. It's a bit of a dilema really. I actually have fun on the day, I just hate all the rest of it, and I don't shoot enough of them to justify hiring someone to do the proofing. Plus I'm a bit of a control freak and have a hard time letting anyone handle my stuff. However having said that I got out of the darkroom a few years back and have someone print all our fiber stuff for us.

I realize I'm going off topic a little here, so if you have the time an e-mail off line would be fine too gareth@soderquistphoto.com

Thanks Marc

Back