DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Preview

biggles3

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that we'd completely missed the Contax Preview (and Preview II) from our listings. I've owned a Preview for some time and love it's quirky simplicity - a sort of brick with a shutter and C/Y mount really. It's a standard Polaroid (now Fuji Instant film) back with a mechanical shutter (as in the FX-3) and sighting is done via the top of the camera, requiring a RightAngle Finder to correct the inverted image. And there's no meter but as they're used principally in studios, not a problem.

With a bit of cunning, you can get 2 images on the film sheet - but it's still an awful waste of instant film as its the same size as you 'll find in a 6x7, 6x6 or 6x4.5 camera back. The Preview II has an updated shutter (more like the S2) with a higher speed but is essentially the same.

By the way, Forscher made an alternative Polaroid back which was much more versatile. I have one for my RTS and RTSII which replaces the standard film back, so you have all the facilities of metering and the full range of shutter speeds. They made 2 different versions, oneof which included a mechanical timer for the film.

Even better, I also have a dedicated Polaroid back for the RTSIII - greta fun.

Back