DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax S2b

FYI

I scanned the S2 broshure and uploaded it in the Scan/Download section on this site. I hope that is helping some of you who are in a buying decision, especially now at the photokina or second hand.

It is really a lovely camera.

Enjoy it!

Dirk

I like the idea of a fully manual camera.
However I noticed the S2 doesnt have a mirror lockup or the ability to take a winder.

Am I correct.

Bill,

The Contax S2 has a mirror lock up via the 10 second selftimer. If you use this function, the S2 lifts first the mirror and release the shutter after 10 seconds. Winder attachment is not possibel. But why do you want then a fully mechanical camera if you want then to attach a winder?? Sounds unlogical to me...

dirk

being independent from possible electronic problems of the shutter is worth buying such a camera. winder-electronics is less dangerous. i discussed the catastrophy using an electronical 159mm during important assignment, 50% of flash-shots were useless. i think the dream of a more sophisticated mechanical contax will not come true. soon enough for me.

I am interested in buying into an S2 and lens system in the near future as I have a particular liking for small simple, quality, mechanical cameras.

One concern I have, as the model has been discontinued, is how long will the camera be supported for by Contax Service Department, 5 years, 10 years, longer ?

Does anybody know ?.

I should be pleased to hear your views

Regards

John Roberts

> Spoke to a Contax service rep in the USA and he said that they are servicing cameras that first came out many years ago. He also indicated that this policy will probably be the "norm". Was told not to worry about buying a camera no longer marketed as it would be supported. You can take his comments for what ever they are worth. My inquiry was about the RX and AX.

i could no imagine kyocera not supporting the only mechanical flagship for a long time. but: old professional flash(with strobo)-rtf540 is no more supported!

Is there a sound reason to choose a Contax S2b over a Yashica FX-2 as mechanichal back-up body for the C/Y Zeiss MF lenses?

...better build quality, faster shutter, better viewfinder, mirror lock up (I think the yashica has none) etc. etc. etc.

But I would choos e the S2 over the S2b. Spotmetering is very often needed in interesting light-situations.

dirk

Ok, ok...I was not questioning the better quality of Contax branded over Yashica branded. Notice I said "mechanical backup", meaning "just in case'. You can get a Yashica FX-2 for $25-$50, and I have heard they are all metal and quite durable.

Back