DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Daylight fillin flash OM1

I have an OM-1 and Auto 310 flash unit. I would like to figure out how to set up the flash (auto or manual) for daylight fill-in flash. Should I set the exposure as a regular daylight shot and turn on the flash unit or instead set up the exposure as a normal flash-only shot???????.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thank You guys

A starting point: Determine the manual exposure you need, such that the shutter speed is slower than or equal to the sync speed (1/60) Then if the aperture is 5.6, 8, or 11, set the auto 310 setting to auto at 1 f-stop lower, 4, 5.6, or 8. The flash auto output should be about 1 stop less than the exposure setting in the camera. The trick is to get an F-stop and shutter speed in the range limited to the above. If you want less fill, the difference in camera F-stop needs to be higher than the 310 auto F-stop, while still keeping the shutter at 1/60 or slower.

Back