DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichDitch

Do people posting images here want honest feedback? Or is this more for "social sharing?"

I used to spend a lot of time posting at naturephotographers.net, where the expectation was that people would post their best work and expect honest critiques from other photographers. It was an excellent way for people to gauge the quality of their own work, hear honest criticism and advice, and incorporate that into their future work. I spent many years at NPN but have moved on after it changed owners and took a different form.

I know it can be hard for any of us to take criticism, and some people posting at NPN actually only wanted positive feedback. I also know how hard it can be to give honest feedback in a sensitive manner.

So, before I go down the wrong track here I'd like to hear what others think of this. Do you want such feedback? Do you think it helps or hurts to get such feedback? Do we need a way to indicate our preferences when we post an image? Should the be a separate forum just for image critiques?

The answer will probably be different for everyone.

So I think it's probably best if people posting photos specifically invite feedback rather than having a default forum position whereby every photo posted is open to feedback.

The answer will probably be different for everyone.

So I think it's probably best if people posting photos specifically invite feedback rather than having a default forum position whereby every photo posted is open to feedback.
Then what is the point of posting an image, if not for all to see and possibly critique. Anyone who does not want any C&C should have a special asterisk next to their name indicating they are a snowflake, nést pas?

Do people posting images here want honest feedback? Or is this more for "social sharing?"

I used to spend a lot of time posting at naturephotographers.net, where the expectation was that people would post their best work and expect honest critiques from other photographers. It was an excellent way for people to gauge the quality of their own work, hear honest criticism and advice, and incorporate that into their future work. I spent many years at NPN but have moved on after it changed owners and took a different form.

I know it can be hard for any of us to take criticism, and some people posting at NPN actually only wanted positive feedback. I also know how hard it can be to give honest feedback in a sensitive manner.

So, before I go down the wrong track here I'd like to hear what others think of this. Do you want such feedback? Do you think it helps or hurts to get such feedback? Do we need a way to indicate our preferences when we post an image? Should the be a separate forum just for image critiques?
I agree with you. Feed back is good whether someone likes it or not. We are all grown ups here I believe. Honesty is a dying virtue, and I don't mean in the nasty, vindictive sense of the term.

Anyone who does not want any C&C should have a special asterisk next to their name indicating they are a snowflake, nést pas?
It might simply be that some people are not interested in the views of a random person on the internet who may know nothing about the context of the photo, the reason it was taken or what it means to the person. Photos mean different things to different people. Self-appointed critics can be wildly cynical, out of touch with certain forms of expression, and often personally biased. Unless you have some form of proven credential as a photography expert, why would someone want to hear your personal views?

I think "critique" is a touchy subject. My years of working in this industry taught me that people have different ideas of what a good print should look like. I also know plenty of images could use some critique, if delivered in a kind way. The kind way sometimes escapes critics., and is hurtful.

So I see this as a 50/50 deal.

I suggest if a poster does not want critique, perhaps it's a social post, he mention it, and if open for critique mention that as well.

My problem. forum wise, is that too much emphasis on critique can severely limit the number of images posted. And on balance, I don't think that's a good thing.

I'd rather there was a separate forum for photos that people want to have critiqued -- otherwise if someone posts a photo that has issues or you just don't like it, don't say anything about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back