DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Epson 1280

kamera

Although this printer is 'old' by reference to the new higher tech models, I am still using it to satisfaction.

Generally, I print either 11x17 or 13x19 after referencing a 4x6 print.

Have never officially calibrated my monitor or printer, but by experience know what I need to do...(1) scan as high as I can (2) make the monitor image lighter than desired (3) reduce the red setting slightly.

I print for my own display and for customers who have always been satisfied.

Since I am retired and I remain satisfied with the 1280, I see no real reason to spend money for an updated model

> I am now into my second Epson 1280 and have liked the results very much. > My one dissatisfaction is with monochrome images. They almost always seem to > have a color cast. For color images, I agree with your color adjustments. > I would say if the 1280 still works for you keep on keeping on. When it > is time to replace it, then I would look at some of the newer Epson models. > Incidentally, I now frequently send my image files to www.iprintfromhome.com which does an excellent job in accurate color reproduction at a very reasonable price. Check it out.

Glad to hear of another Epson 1280 fan.

I will have to go into the site you mentioned...thanks.

I used to also have trouble with trying to print Black & White. Everything would come out merely in "greyscale"...not true range through black to grey to white.

Now have solved that problem:

I DO NOT use C41 chromogenic film/processing. Too many labs cannot print such correctly. Comes out looking magenta, and if they go the opposite way...looks green.

Prefer to use regular Color film and convert myself in editing. When doing so (and also to printer) I successfully use either Film Factory which came with the printer or Photoshop Elements 3 (another oldie).
Convert to black/white, then use manual controls to adjust contrast/brightness to get a primary image that is true black-greyscale-white.

Again though before sending to the printer I have to 'lighten' the monitor image slightly so as to get the tones that I want the printed photo to be.

Back