DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Flash with T90 & EOS3

peterwadsworth

I have acquired an Osram AF 282 Studio Flash with no instructions.

Before I attempt to use it I wondered if anyone had information on this flash and how I can determine if it is suitable for my cameras.

Thanks,

Peter Wadsworth

Can you describe the studio flash- Does it have a synch lead connector or a built in slave sensor. I have a Canon EOS 500 and 600 and use either an infra-red trigger which sits in the hot shoe and fires the slaves on my studio units but I can also use a synch lead which plugs in to the back of one unit and the other end fits an adaptor which sits in the hot shoe -this latter adaptor is necesary as the cameras do not have a pc terminal and I suspect the EOS 3 doesnt either . What I do then is set the camera to "manual" and check the required exposure using a flash meter . Both my studio units have slaves so when one fires so does the other . This system works well . Stuart

Stuart,

Its called a studio flash, but it has a hot shoe for direct fitting to a camera. The hot shoe has a centre pin and four slightly smaller pins grouped together in a square. The bottom of the hot shoe connection has two symbols, an "F" and a "C". There is no other connector.

>Regardless of whethe or not it operates ON the camera and I would be wary >of connecting it via the hot shoe ,but you could try it. > I would imagine that,if it did fire in synch with the camera,you would > only be able to use it on a manual camera setting and by virtue of the > fact that it is fitted to the camera in the worst position for studio > work the results may be disappointing .You can only try it 'tho and see > what happens .

The alternative is to get an adaptor that it will sit in and another that sits in the camera hot shoe -both these must have a pc connector . Then get a pc cable and connect the camera and the flash together .that would allow you to move the flash around and get better results . If you are in the UK then Jessops will have the adaptors and cable. Stuart

Stuart

Back