DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Focusing Problems with the Zeiss Contax G 90mm

IN TALKING WITH MY LOCAL CAMERA STORE, THERE WAS BACK FOCUS PROBLEMS WITH THE EARLY 90MM LENSES. MINE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEING A VERY EARLY ONE. I ALSO HAD PROBLEMS WITH MINE BEING NOISY HORIZONTAL AND DRAGING IN THE VERTICAL. I ALSO HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH MY 45MM. CONTAX REPAIRED THE 90MM AT NO CHARGE AND CHARGED ME A SMALL FEE FOR THE 45MM BOTH WERE OUT OF WARRANTY. I HAD BOUGHT BOTH NEW ALONG WITH A G1 WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT.THE G1 DEVELOPED A SHORT IN IT JUST OUT OF WARRANTY AND CONTAX TRIED TO FIX IT TWICE BUT FAILED. THE CAMERA WAS IN VERY NICE CONDITION AND THEY REPLACED IT WITH A NEW ONE. GREAT COMPANY FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. STEVE.

> Steve, in what country are you located? In other words, which Contax servicer did you use?

> [SCOTT WASHINGTON STATE AND IT WAS SENT TO CONTAX ON THE EAST COAST. CONTAX WAS AWARE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH FOCUSING WITH THEIR G- LENSES.STEVE

I have used the 90 mm for 18 months now. Most of the time in portrait situations (range 1 - 2 m).
The trick is indeed not to use the focus lock as Till Clemens says. But focus is always right on target when using the CAF mode.

Marc-paul

Marc-paul, I tried your suggestion forvusing the CAF mode. It works fine, although I have not experienced the focus cproblem with the 90 as others have.

Jim

Back