DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

From SLR to Digital SLR

stevehare

I have a Nikon F65 with a Nikon AF Nikkor 28-100mm 1:3.5-5.6 G lense and a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G lense.
I am very keen to keep this but also go Digital and buy the Nikon D50 body/kit.
I was wondering if the lenses I already have, would they fit on a Nikon D50 Body???????

Please help, advise greatly needed

Kind Regards

Steve

Dear Stephen,

You will certainly be able to use the same lenses, but need to be aware that because of the difference in size between a normal 35mm film frame, and the light-sensitive chip used in a Nikon digital camera, there is in effect a 1.5x increase in apparent focal length of any lens.

Using the lenses you have, this would create images the equivalent of using the following:
1. 28-100 = 42-150 mm lens
2. 70-300 = 105-450 mm lens
Great if you want to take telephoto bird images, but not so helpful if you are interested in wide landscape vistas.

The actual focal length is not, I understand, changed, but you receive a "cropped" field of view, and so this appears to be magnified or made more "tele" than "wide" angle.

There is much debate over whether Nikon should or will use a "full-frame" sensor, similar to some of the high-end Canon digital SLRs, and as has been discussed on this forum many times, there are both good reasons for and against. However, if you wish to use a lens on any Nikon digital, it is important to remember that the quality will not necessarily suffer for using a sensor smaller than a film frame - just the effective "field of view".

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Ian<font face="arial,helvetica">

Back