DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

FZ1000: Standard vs Neutral using RAW?

Wow, Albert, do appreciate all your efforts in trying to help me wrap my mind around this issue.

You are welcome.

So, the evf image is jpg, even though I'm shooting raw. And, if I shoot raw+fine jpg, I will get a better idea of the shot.

Yes.

But, will that fine jpg will be dependent on the camera's jpg settings?

Yes.

I think so; and if so, then what shows will be dependent on the Quality setting (among other in-camera settings)???

Yes. Indeed if you convert your RAW by a compatible RAW Converter (which can read the JPG setting used and apply them automatically), you should get similar JPG as the SOOC JPG produced by the in-camera RAW Converter (we usually refers it as the JPG or Image Engine).

Raw just gives you the flexibility to do the conversion and a proper Converter on computer could be more sophisticated/ powerful than the in-camera converter only. It is the beauty of RAW on top of the higher headroom (10~12 bits vs 8 bits) and RAW conversion will not modify the RAW file on conversion whereas JPG editing is cumulative and destructive.

As I shoot raw and use FastRawViewer to cull the raws, I think I'll just keep things the way they are, and cull from the computer software rather than the evf...knowing that I will have a bit of headway when in post. But, then again, it appears that having a fine jpg in the evf can be advantageous.

Yes. Indeed we might just erase the JPG afterward if they are not useful. But this can be a good reference for us on conversion.

It is not a joke. Sometime when I do conversion by a non compartible converter, I might find the SOOC JPG is better despite of my effort on conversion.

BTW, after culling I go to Photolab 5 Elite and then Photoshop Essentials 18.

Currently I use the free DXO OpticPro 11 and Silkypix for the RAW, and the vintage Photoshop CS4 for detail JPG editing. For simplier JPG editing, DXO OP can do it too.

Note: some responses are inside the Quote.

Back