DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G system as Pinhole camera

kcloong

Hi,
Just a question out of curiosity. Is it possible to construct a pinhole camera out of a G1? If so, has anyone has any experience in doing so and could you share?
regards
kc

What a neat idea! I've never heard of it being done, but I'd imagine you could modify a G body cap by cutting (drilling?) a large hole in the center and attaching (gluing?) a piece of brass sheet stock with a pinhole to it. Should be relatively easy to do.

If you do try using your G as a pinhole camera, please do let us know how it works out.

--Rick

Well, maybe here's a good forum to start some discussion going.
There are some questions that I myself am not sure of the answers.
1. Exposure calculation. Is there a way to trick the camera to switch to external metering like when one mount the 16mm onto it?
2. Focusing and sharpness. What i know is that for a pinhole camera, it will be sharp throughout, but the question is does the location of the pinhole matters? (e.g., should I stick the brass sheet of the outer or inner portion of the cap?
3. Will the shutter plane be burnt through? Probably will not happen, but don't think i wanna find it out the hard way.

Anyway, thanks for the response. At least I have an indication that I am not going off tangent here.

Here's one resource I found. I'm certain there are others:

http://www.pinhole.org/make/exposure.cfm

I'm guessing that at f:350, concerns about focus become moot. The keys seem to be to use film that has a wide exposure latitude and to experiment, experiment, experiment.

--Rick

Rick, good reference site. Thanks.

BTW, Why bother with the G2, you can get a Holga pin hole camera for $26 and use 120 films.

Albert.

I myself don't see any point in using the G2 for pinhole. Unless of course you like eating up batteries that cost 6 bucks each. Once the lens is off, well............what's the point?

"Once the lens is off, well............what's the point?"

The point could be, well.. dust inside the camera. :)

wow, harsh. sometimes the point can be just to see if you can do it. aside from that, the body of the G2 also has a lot of control over the image such as continuous wind, etc. I say give it a try for fun!

Back