DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hello from Iowa--new to Sigma forum

My name is Phil and I am addicted to my Sigma dp1. As a result of this addiction my life has been changed in many ways. My grass doesn't get cut. I have totally failed to visit my grandchildren, I spend hours in front of my Mac desktop learning Aperture (I have other cameras too--I import Sigma files as Tiff). I'm near the bottom of my drawer drawer and I'm already grubbing through my dirty clothes basket looking for reasonably clean socks, and (oh, it's so hard to say) I haven't turned on my TV for days now.

I'm a documentary photographer and have used and loved my Canon 5D and the great 24-105mm lens I bought with it. It has its uses and I have other cameras too. I love to shoot film (mostly B&W) with my Contax G2. Also use a Fuji 6x9 28mm 120 film camera. But I do love my Sigma dp1 for many special occasions. As a documentary photographer I photograph people, often working, playing, talking, resting (always with their permision) I've found (as has others) that the Sigma is perfect for getting in close to people in their environment and the camera looks like the kind of camera they would own. It's not scary or "professional" looking. But it gives me pro results. It's one of my tools that I think helps me do work that I think is important. I am not totally dedicated to Sigma dp1 since I also have other tools but this camera fits into a nitch that needed filled and I'm very happy with it.

You hear a lot about the "Cons" with this camera. It is not an everything camera to everybody. I have found it to be great outdoors or indoors where there is sufficient light. I've even used it at a festival last week at night and got some good shots with the tungsten light provided by the carnival. Not its strongest suit but I did get some shots. Lots of noise but I printed some b&w and that seemed ok, but also used Nix Software Dfine, which hushes the noise a bit and helps me get a color shot that works.

I'm happy that there is such a forum here and hope to meet others who are users of this fine camera. I hope to learn from you and maybe I might have a few pointers that might help others. Phil

Greetings from DownUnder ...

Hi, Phil!

Wow, that's a glowing report on your DP1. I'd love to see some of your work sometime.

if you have not already discovered the site, Carl Rytterfalk in Sweden ( http://www.rytterfalk.com/ has a good thing going with his DP1 and 2 and has lots of tips on his site.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Phil,

Nice to meet you...I have a DP1...but saddly...I have not used it much lately...so it is sitting on a shelf..just waiting for me to take it out...Your right this little jewel is so miss-uderstood...and people do not take the time to learn about the camera, once you do it is very powerful and very versitile...but...and the big but...(no-pun-intended)...:lol:...the camera makes you slow down and think thru your shot...like a film camera...it's not a P&S camera...and it does have a learning curve...one thing I found that helped me was the Magic Lantern Book on the DP1...I would say 80% of the stuff was just Blah...Blah...Blah...but the other 20% helped me when shooting with it....

Make sure you shoot in RAW format...and first edit the pictures in the Sigma Pro software....convert them to Tiff or Jpg and then proccess them further in any other software....(I like Nikon's NX2..for a quick and easy touch-up...)...I hope this helps a little...

I look forward to your pictures....and thank you for reminding me about it..!!!

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Back