DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

How does M6 age

The tension on the shutter spring of a Leica ranefinder camera uncocked is 50%; cocked it is 75%. So either way you aren't doing any damage to your cameras. It is a personal choice. Happy Snaps,Sal

If you want to make sure your camera shutter is released each time, just buy one of those "softies." Then every time you put the camera in your camera bag, if the shutter is cocked, it will most certainly fire. I have several dozen shots of the inside of my camera bag. ; D

Regards, SonC http://www.sonc.com

Thank you guys for your answers. I have couple of other things I would like to ask.

-That clear plastic sheet on the bottom plate of the camera what purpose does it serve? Is it there only for protection when camera got out of the factory or is it acctually used for something?

-I use gaffers tape to cover my camera. I was shooting a Pow Wow festival in NY and some guy told me that I should be ashamed for covereing Leica name and equipment with tape? What's that all about? I kayak and trek and my camera is on the go and spends time in the dry bag and I don't want to get scuffled marks on it.

- Is the automatic winder available in silver?

- Now this may be the silly question and please don't make fun of me. For ex&le if I shoot with 1/125th and when my lens is at 5.6 it shows me that I'm on the dot but slighty overexposing (right arrow) now when I go "up" to the next click, exposure still is on the dot but now it is slightly underexposing. When I turn lens gently and find a mid position between clicks and exposure than is right on the dot, can I take a pic like that?

-My Leica bag consits of M6, 75mm (cosina), 50mm Elmar, 35 Summicron, 25 (cosina), Bessa L with 15mm. Any tips on that setup?

-Any tips on metering when shooting landscape?

Thank you again guys for all your time and answers.

Matt Jachyra
http://brunerdog.tripod.com

Matt,

You can put as much gaffa on your camera as you like - i prefer my leica worn beutifully with age, but again some of your activities sounds rough!

It appears that you need to read and understand a little more about fundamentals of lightmetering and i suggest that you you find a book on the library on the subject - as a general rule remember that your meter whant to se everything as 18% (15%) gray ! So when you uncritical use your meeter in snow, the snow will be gray unless you overexpose the shot and again if you meter on a black buliding it will be gray if you do not underexpose the picture.

You need to know that the area of the meter changes with the lens you put on the camera

If you shot negative film the tollerance is bigger then dias so you would not need to worry to much about a little over or under exposure

In landscape photography there are som traps to lightmetering - backlit scenes, reflecting areas like water, sunrises etc.
You could visit the www.luminous-landscape.com they have parts on lightning and likewise on www.photo.net

your lens setup looks fine to me for the outdoor activities you like !

good luck

Ruben

Matt

“For ex&le if I shoot with 1/125th and when my lens is at 5.6 it shows me that I'm on the dot but slightly overexposing (right arrow) now when I go "up" to the next click, exposure still is on the dot but now it is slightly underexposing. When I turn lens gently and find a mid position between clicks and exposure than is right on the dot, can I take a pic like that?â€

Welcome to the wonderful world of M6 metering. The answer is yes.

No the winder only comes in black and you probably don't really want one.

Matt, if you want your Chrome M6 to look bad and ugly put gaffer tape on it. If you want it to look pristine forever put it in a glass cabinet.

The chrome M6s are really nice looking with that smooth top plate, but rest assured the chrome finish is pretty hardy and the camera will age well without the need for the kit glove treatment. It is doubtful the dry bag will affect the finish. The chrome finish will not scuff unless you drag it across rocks. Don't ask me how I know this. My chrome Leicas have been thrown and stuffed into back packs, rained on burred in snow, thrown into the back of trucks etc. for many years. No dings no scuffs. Rocks and the clip on Leica Meter (for the M3 and M4) are another story.

Relax and enjoy your photography that is what the M6 is made for. What’s the point if you are afraid to use it. It’s the great images you are going to create from you trips into the wilds that count at the end of the day. Chances are no matter how careful you are one day you will most likely ding your M6, almost every body does, and nobody likes it when it happens. But it will be YOUR dig that eventually becomes part of the history and character of YOUR M6.

Keep the plastic sticker on, it protects the base plate from scuffing. ie no need for gaffer there.

Metering for landscape; buy a Pentax spot meter and read Ansell Adams "The Negative." A little Zone System is very useful even with 35mm format.

Your lens setup is more than adequate and will cover all requirements. If anything restrict the number of lenses you take on trips. A lot can be done with just a 35 and 75mm kit. Sometimes an ultra wide angle comes in handy, depending on where you are.

I know they are a pain to drag around but a good tripod, or next best, one of the lighter carbon fibre monopods will help you get sharper pix in low light situations.

All the best, Craig
}

Craig,

that you very much for your answer. As you can see from my web site I'm not even an amature photographer yet... I don't take photographs but just pictures which I hope to change. I'm lucky since there is Ansel Adams' exhibition here in NYC so I will go and check it out over the weekend and definiately read the book. Thanks again,

Matt

Dear Matt

I haven’t seen your site as yet, but shall look it up. You're lucky enough to be able to build on your photography with one of the best cameras ever made. I’ve taken M-series cameras on my bushwalking (wilderness hiking) trips for yonks now and found them much easier to carry and use than my SLRs.

A bit of research into exposure techniques so that you can get the most out of the M6 "Spot" meter and you will be pulling great shots in no time. Remember film is more important than food for the next few months.

Look at Ansel's images and see how he used foreground elements to add interest to his landscapes. Oh and enjoy the exhibition.

If you don't know how this can be done with the Leica contact me off Forum and I'll run you through it. A word of caution about Ansel's books, remember his writings are screwed more toward large format work. However, the principals are the same for all photography. So you will need to pick out the material, which is applicable to good 35mm practice and apply it to you way of working. Unfortunately there are no sure fire formulae (that’s formulas to you) that can be simply followed.

A mint chrome M6 and an Ansel Adams exhibition, life just doesn’t get much better than that. I came so close to buying a brand new chrome M6 when they first came out, but it meant trading the M3, which was, and still is, an impossibility. I still remember the day I stood in the shop holding it. Since then I’ve seen many M6s but they have all been black. For me the chrome ones seem so much nicer, so I understand your reticence to get it all scuffed up. It’s the bottom plate which tends to suffer most in general use, so the sticker that comes with it new, will help keep it clean looking.

good luck and best wishes, Craig.

Dear Craig,

My entire "problem" with spot meter is that I know how to use it with my Nikons (now gone) for specific situations such as portrait or spot lights etc etc but I never used it all the time. I was much more comfortable with matrix and center weighted metering for every other scenario.

I don't mind burning film and bracket. I just want to get shadows in the right places which I hope that Adams book will give me tips.

My worries about the finish come from my experiences with my old Nikons that even after taking care of them still looked like hell after few trips. And my xpan that I mentioned in the original post. But you guys made me feel comfortable about my camera chrome finish so I just took off all the tape.

Matt Jachyra
http://brunerdog.tripod.com

Back