DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Imaging Software What is Most Popular

cypress_e1

What imaging software are you using to process your Olympus RAW images?

Olympus Viewer, Studio, Master?

Adobe Photoshop CS2?

Others?

I am using Master at this point because CS2 doesn't recognize the ORF files. The ORF plugin from the Oly website is a joke. The Orf format is not new, why is it not available in CS2?

> I am using Adobe Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw and and CS2 and have been using > Photoshop from the beginning. I have had no problems with ORF files =AD but= they > must be processed through ACR first. Adobe Bridge =AD although not perfect = =AD has > served me well for editing and organising files. Processing my files thro= ugh > Adobe Camera Raw (built into Bridge) has been flawless and provides a hug= e > number of processing features. However, once they are PSD files, I prefer= CS2 > as I can use layers and masks to further tweak areas of the image. CS2 al= so > gives me more intuitive control over correcting the distortion of buildin= gs > shot with a wideangle lens. >=20 > As far as Lightroom and Aperture =AD I have the tools I need right now with= out > spending any more money. I=B9d rathe spend it on travelling to shooting > locations or buying a new lens. Lightroom may be free now, but I can=B9t se= e > investing the time and building files and workflow with a free app that I= will > then need to buy once Adobe puts it on the market. >=20 > That=B9s my 2p worth. >=20 > Terry McDonald > www.luxborealis.com

> 1. Re Terry McDonald's post may I put in a 'plug' for Altostorm's plugin for correcting the distortion of buildings (keystoning) shot with a wide angle lens. I photograph architecture extensively and I find Altostorm's Rectilinear Panorama works perfectly with my CS2 and my Paint Shop Pro 9. It's a big improvement on PSP's tool and all CS2's tools. > 2. Re Olympus I stay with this list from fond memories of my first digital camera; an Olympus 5060 which I still use for point-and-shoot. When I needed to upgrade I very briefly considered following the herd to DSLR but the front-runner by miles was the Sony DSC-R1 'bridge' camera. I considered the Olympus 8080 but the Sony won out with its big 10MB sensor and its superb 24-120mm equivalent lens. > 3. I take RAW .SR2 photos with the Sony processed in Adobe Camera Raw from Adobe Bridge. Only if one of them needs a great deal of processing do I open it in CS2 otherwise I save it as .PSD and open it subsequently in Paint Shop Pro 9. > My wish list: > 4. Both the Olympus and the Sony have two memory card slots. It would be great to be able to set up two modes in a camera eg. point and shoot saved on one card as JPEG and serious work saved on the other card as RAW. Then I could switch between the two modes by simply selecting the appropriate card..

> Posted by Marc Sassos (Cypress_e1) on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - > 4:16 am:

What imaging software are you using to process your Olympus RAW images?

I first convert each ORF to DNG, which cuts the file size in half. I then import the DNG into Lightroom and tweak a few areas before editing it in PS or PSP.

Herb

I'm curious - in the conversion from ORF to DNG how can the file size be reduced to one-half without losing any quality? That's a huge savings. Are Olympus engineers missing something?

Also, are you doing any tweaking in ACR before converting to a DNG?

--Terry
www.luxborealis.com

> > Posted by Terry McDonald (Luxborealis) on Sunday, January 07, > > 2007 - 4:49 pm: > > I'm curious - in the conversion from ORF to DNG how can the file > size > be reduced to one-half without losing any quality? That's a huge > savings. Are Olympus engineers missing something? > > Also, are you doing any tweaking in ACR before converting to a DNG? > > --Terry

The size of RAW ORFs from my E-500 is about 14 megs. After converting to DNGs the size is reduced to about 7 megs. I am not knowledgeable about how the reduction in size is made (I'm sure others will be able to explain it), but there does not appear to be any loss of quality from the original ORF to the converted DNG.

I do not bring the converted DNG into ACR. I use Lightroom instead and import the DNG directly into Lightroom. Lightroom offers many more options for tweaking the raw DNG compared to ACR. After applying some of those tweaks, I then edit the file in either Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, depending on what I believe needs to be done to that file. (If I edit it in PS, I always convert it to Lab and do my editing in Lab following the techniques discussed in Margulis' book.)

Herb

Back