DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Impact of humidity and temperature on SD14 and Sigma Lenses

bonku

I have a concern with Sigma (both camera body and lens). I am originally from India (now settled in US). That part of India is very hot, humid and dusty in general. How good are these Sigma products (SD14 and lens) in such conditions? I had a few problems when I tried to use my SD14 (with Sigma 18-200mm lens) in Ohio winter (about -15C).
Any suggestion?
P.S: This message was originally posted in another thread.

Hi bonku,
what kind of problems did you have?
My daughter lives in Mumbai (Bombay) since about 4 years.
She has a set of Sigma lenses with her and has done a lot of traveling in and around India from the very north to the south.
She has taken some 8000 pictures so far and no problems at all.
Hope it helps.
Regards
Uwe

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Uwe for your reply. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I took my SD14 with me when it was snowing outside, it refused to take picture in quick successions. I could not take pictures in few seconds gap (without flash) and it took much longer time to show the preview (probably took longer to save the image). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As it was snowing, I was a bit hesitant to keep the camera out for long. At the back of my mind I was thinking that SD14 and the Sigma lens is not “splash” proof (like Pentax K20D or Olympus E3 body and lenses) and I might spoil my beloved SD14 by melting snow. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s encouraging to know that your daughter never had any problem with any Sigma gadget (camera body and lens) in hot and humid conditions in India. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have not taken my new SD14 camera and any Sigma lens with me to India yet. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By the way, I am from a village near Kolkata/Calcutta (Eastern India), a bit more humid as compared to Mumbai :)- [/FONT]

Lock issue

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Uwe for your reply. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I took my SD14 with me when it was snowing outside, it refused to take picture in quick successions. I could not take pictures in few seconds gap (without flash) and it took much longer time to show the preview (probably took longer to save the image). [/FONT]
Many SD14 are experiencing this issue (locking) in all kinds of conditions, while some never sees it. Firmware v1.08 was supposed to fix this, but the problem is not entirely gone. A suggested solution is to turn of preview, but this has not been verified as a valid work-around.
When you take several pictures in succession, the SD14 uses a while before it shows previews. And it does not always shows all previews.

[FONT=&quot]As it was snowing, I was a bit hesitant to keep the camera out for long. At the back of my mind I was thinking that SD14 and the Sigma lens is not “splash” proof (like Pentax K20D or Olympus E3 body and lenses) and I might spoil my beloved SD14 by melting snow. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s encouraging to know that your daughter never had any problem with any Sigma gadget (camera body and lens) in hot and humid conditions in India. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have not taken my new SD14 camera and any Sigma lens with me to India yet. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By the way, I am from a village near Kolkata/Calcutta (Eastern India), a bit more humid as compared to Mumbai :)- [/FONT]

kind regards
Øyvind Strøm

Back