DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

It rained that hard!

Barbie Heid

Top Poster Of Month
We picked up five inches of rain in one day, so I couldn't resist trying to get a shot of it. This was my street at 1 am Monday - and my clothes still won't dry.

NIK_5749 final.jpg

We need rain like that here in central Louisiana. I'm not a "rain" kind of guy in general (and typically we do indeed get more than I think we need) but we've been in a drought -- at times a severe drought -- since mid summer. Based on typical vs. actual rainfall at my house, we were down almost 80% at one point. In the past six weeks or so we've seen a little rain but local lakes are still waaaaaay down. At least between the recent rain and the slab-watering I did, our house's foundation has rebounded a little and doors aren't binding ...at the moment. But who knows.

We need rain like that here in central Louisiana. I'm not a "rain" kind of guy in general (and typically we do indeed get more than I think we need) but we've been in a drought -- at times a severe drought -- since mid summer. Based on typical vs. actual rainfall at my house, we were down almost 80% at one point. In the past six weeks or so we've seen a little rain but local lakes are still waaaaaay down. At least between the recent rain and the slab-watering I did, our house's foundation has rebounded a little and doors aren't binding ...at the moment. But who knows.
It was the same here last year - record low lake/reservoir levels. And we count on snowfall for that in spring, which they're already predicting a subnormal snowfall for next year.

standard Uk weather that, apart from the 5 days of summer we only seem to get

Really dislike the rain if it’s really bad!!
We're notorious for torrential downpours. It was almost the same here today; another bad storm and a lot of folks in the area are without power now. At least it's not too cold.

I hope your place wasn't Flooded? I have heard reports of Sydney Airport being Flooded, with Flights Canceled on Christmas Day.

Belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2024.

Hope 2024 will be a better Year then the past few Years.
No, we're on the east coast of the USA (Connecticut), but we have had our share of rain. Happy New Year to you as well!

Back